FORUMS: list search recent posts

what is a good online high rez image size

COW Forums : Web Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ben hawkins
what is a good online high rez image size
on Jun 27, 2008 at 9:42:11 pm

We want to add some code to our site that will allow images to expand to much larger images. Now our images are at 400x400 px. What do you think would be a good high rez image size to expand to without slowing people down?
thanks

I got the hottest beats and the softest fur.

Return to posts index

Curtis Thompson
Re: what is a good online high rez image size
on Jun 27, 2008 at 11:14:11 pm

hello....

very hard to answer - by "slowing people down", do you mean file-size download times? if so, that's also very subjective, because if you have low-res previews (the 400x400 size), then i can see that pretty well as is, so if i was getting a 1600x1600 or something by clicking someplace, i'd be willing to wait, and it should only take a few seconds to download that anyway...

do you have some more context to your question?

sitruc

Return to posts index

Ben Hawkins
on Jul 1, 2008 at 3:13:50 pm

My boss has asked me the following question. "if we had a zoom feature on our website like the following example," http://www.landsend.com/pp/BeachLivingSideShirredJerseySwimMini153~176295_5... "how large can we have the image without slowing down most browsers."
The problem is. I am their video guy. I really don't do much web work So I am confused on how to answer this question or even where i could find this answer find a answer. To me it seems simple. I would say as large as you can get a 72dpi image (example 1000x700). But I dont really have anything to back this answer. SO Any help would be awesome!!

I got the hottest beats and the softest fur.

Return to posts index

Fernando Mol
on Jul 2, 2008 at 7:52:29 pm

I guess the important point is not "how much you can expand the image", but "how much you need to expand it".

As a starting point, if you use a small window (400 x 550 px), you can go with a picture size of 1024 x 768.

That will be around 370K with high quality compression jpg.

Need more size? Just use a smaller quality compression.

You will have to test it.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]