FORUMS: list search recent posts

which web host

COW Forums : Web Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Olive Green
which web host
on Jun 7, 2008 at 7:53:05 pm

I am at the very early stages of trying to get my head around setting up a website.

Does anyone have any suggestions for a web host and what size data transfer limit (bandwidth?) I would need if I want to put some videos on my website.

Without knowing how large the video files are this is probably a difficult question to answer. All I can say is that I will probably put four or five fairly high quality videos on there, each approximately 5 mins long (so long as it's not too expensive).

Also, I am looking for a web host that provides a POP/IMAP email account, with the same domain name as the website, that I can access from anywhere with an internet connection (web based email?). i.e. no email software you need to download.

Also, I am looking for a web host that allows freedom to update and change my website whenever I like (FTP account?).

Any help with any of these questions would be much appreciated (as would some guidance as to whether I'm using the right technical jargon. For all I know I might be swearing at someone in a foreign language).

Return to posts index

Curtis Thompson
Re: which web host
on Jun 7, 2008 at 10:06:12 pm

hello...

[Olive Green] "Without knowing how large the video files are this is probably a difficult question to answer. "

it's impossible to answer, unfortunately - will you have 5 visitors a month or 500? will they always download the entire video? how many hits will each video get? etc etc...

best to just do the math. if you have 1 10mb video that gets fully downloaded by 10 people each day, that's 10mb of bandwidth a day and an average of 300mb per month. then factor in other web content and your email if you're using the same isp for that and everything and you'll get an idea of how much bandwidth you need.

there are a zillion isps out there, so your best bet is to use google to find user reviews or start here:

http://reviews.cnet.com/web-hosting/?tag=ont.wh

hope that helps!

sitruc

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]