FORUMS: list search recent posts

Costs for Developing Site

COW Forums : Web Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Daniel Elder
Costs for Developing Site
on Apr 28, 2008 at 9:03:53 pm

I am working on a website that'll be a pretty in depth site, that'll allow people to buy and sell stuff, as well as create their own profile, and it'll have community features. It'll be a community site, not as in depth as facebook or myspace, but I want it to have a lot of looping functionality. I know a lot about web design and development, but this level of PHP and MYSQL is way out of my expertise.

So I'm wondering what it would cost to get something done like this, flat fee or hourly? And who I could or should look at when deciding who I want to put money towards?

Daniel Elder
producer
http://www.luminair.com

Return to posts index

Curtis Thompson
Re: Costs for Developing Site
on Apr 29, 2008 at 3:56:04 pm

hello...

alas this is almost impossible to answer with a single number or even a mile-high estimate - the big things that you toss out are:

- users able to buy and sell stuff
- community forum
- like facebook/myspace

it is completely impossible to even give you an idea for cost of that based on the description you've provided. there are way too many variables in there to say what it would run... :-(

for example - you could cobble together a bunch of open source solutions (bbs, shopping cart, etc.) and keep costs lower, or you could spend thousands and thousands of dollars to make a completely comprehensive experience.

[Daniel Elder] "So I'm wondering what it would cost to get something done like this, flat fee or hourly? And who I could or should look at when deciding who I want to put money towards?"

based on what you've described, you need to come up with your own budget for what you're willing to pay for this project - then, you might want to try to hit up friends or colleagues to find out if they've had anybody do web stuff for them that was somewhat complex like this. you'd probably want to find someone local to you, so perhaps look up web shops in your area. however, if you go with a full shop, you should be prepared for some sticker shock. don't give them your budget, but rather meet with them and tell them what you want and let them tell you what it would cost...

hope that helps - i'm glad to try to give you more specifics, but with what we have here it's really hard to say much more...

sitruc

Return to posts index

Daniel Elder
on May 1, 2008 at 4:14:47 am

Well, I obviously can't give too much info away without divulging all the details for my site. I found the site ODesk which gives various options for pricing of developers. I guess what I'm wondering is with all the knowledge out there, someone could develop or implement a site that has features of a social networking site, a shopping experience and a forum/blog from PHPBB/Wordpress and make them all play nice together in under 100 hours? I guess that's what I'm trying to gage, it wouldn't have to be super high end to start, just something that we can start getting a user base from.

Daniel Elder
producer

Return to posts index

Curtis Thompson
on May 1, 2008 at 4:32:54 am

hello...

i understand that you can't divulge site details, but with what you have provided here, i will say that for 100 man hours, you will not be able to get a cohesive "single site presentation" (i.e. you take a collection of open source and customize it to all look like your look and feel)... :-/

(my logic being this - 100 hours = 2.5 weeks full time work, and there's no way i'd promise you that i could do that in 100 hours, and i most certainly have the skillset to do it. you have research, implementation, customization, testing, etc. etc...when i multiply that by you wanting a "social networking site" (even a simple version of that is not simple), a shopping cart (again - options galore, let alone if you want people to be able to sell with it) and a forum, there's no way that 100 hours would cover that)

i'm not trying to be flippant or in any way solicit work from you here - just being honest with you. again, i have no details, but based on description alone, a larger more organized web shop would probably charge you in the few dozen thousands of dollars for this, and if you got a single individual to do it, they would probably be at it for at least a few months...

(your big ifs here are users being able to sell products to other users, what they can buy/sell to begin with and the social networking aspect - those are not small pieces of code, so you have to assume the worst from the start)

sitruc

Return to posts index

Daniel Elder
on May 1, 2008 at 1:10:05 pm

Thanks for that information, that's what I wanted to know. I will definitely continue on in my designing of the pages, and see if I can go get some money for this project. Thanks again for your advice.

Daniel Elder
producer

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]