FORUMS: list search recent posts

Possible to save a website for offline viewing?

COW Forums : Web Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jeffrey GouldPossible to save a website for offline viewing?
by on Apr 27, 2008 at 10:12:23 pm

Hi, I have a presentation this week to show a Website I designed, but the prospective client doesn't have an internet connection in the conference there a way to run the site from my laptop locally? One issue is that even though I designed it, a friend did all the HTML on her Mac and I use I can't simply preview the site in Dreamweaver. The site is live online, not sure if there is a way to download it and then show it. Thanks for any direction.

Jeffrey S. Gould
Action Media Productions

Return to posts index

Curtis ThompsonRe: Possible to save a website for offline viewing?
by on Apr 27, 2008 at 10:25:08 pm

if it's just html, all you have to do is make all your links and src paths non-absolute (i.e. for a pic - make the href something like "images/foo.gif" or "../images/foo.gif" instead of "" or "/images/foo.gif")...then you can just open up pages in a browser from your local drive (or a burned cd or whatever)...

if it has php or the likes, you can download and install the apache web server on your laptop - it's a very common way to make your laptop into a simple webserver that can serve up the files. for more on that, look at and google up "install apache windows" or the likes.

(and if you have os x, apache is on it by default - just google "os x webserver" or the likes to get hits on that)

hope that helps!

Return to posts index

Mac FryRe: Possible to save a website for offline viewing?
by on Apr 28, 2008 at 2:16:10 pm

If you enter "download site" in Dreamweaver help, you will get the message:

"You can use Dreamweaver to copy an existing remote site (or any branch of a remote site) to your local disk and edit it there, even if you didn’t use Dreamweaver to create the original site..."

...followed by instructions.

You will need the username, password, and permission to access the site.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved