FORUMS: list search recent posts

Javascript + Quicktime setRate() issue

COW Forums : Web Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Chris LyonsJavascript + Quicktime setRate() issue
by on Dec 13, 2007 at 5:11:17 pm

Hey everyone,

I've recently been experimenting with javascript and quicktime and have encountered a very frustrating issue with the quicktime plug-in.

What I'm looking to do is to be able to slow down a movie using setRate() without changing the pitch of the audio. Here is a mock-up of what I have so far: (Use the "1/2 Speed On/Off" button)

I initially tested this using Safari in Mac OS X. Using setRate() to slow the video to 1/2 speed worked fine and the pitch remained the same. Great. Unfortunately when I tested the page in Firefox the speed changed as well as the pitch! It seems that the QT pitch and speed controls are linked in Firefox. I tested the page in Safari, IE, and Firefox in Windows as well and experienced similar problems. The strange thing is, aside from it working correctly in OS X Safari, that in the standalone version of QT it works fine (for Mac and Windows). If you change the speed in the A/V controls the pitch is not affected.

So now the questions: Does anyone know why this is happening? Is there a way to independently control the pitch of a QT movie via javascript?

Any insight will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Return to posts index

Abraham ChaffinRe: Javascript + Quicktime setRate() issue
by on Dec 14, 2007 at 7:48:07 pm

Hey Chris,

Poked around a bit as I'm sure you have as well and found these pages.

Neither of these have references to changing pitch using javascript. This third page refers to changing pitch and using this functionality in javascript but you'll probably have to test the functions to see if it actually can be used on the web.

Good luck!

Return to posts index

Chris LyonsRe: Javascript + Quicktime setRate() issue
by on Dec 17, 2007 at 2:40:09 pm

Thanks for the lead Abraham! Much appreciated. I'll let you know how things go

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved