FORUMS: list search recent posts

The new .mac setup

COW Forums : Web Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
John DavidsonThe new .mac setup
by on Aug 13, 2007 at 11:56:32 pm

Hey guys,

I'm a little unclear on the new .mac personal domain hosting and I'm curious of anyone has made the leap yet. Are there any caveats? Macrumors forums says there is some confusion surrounding the www. prefix as well as personal domain email accounts. If those little issues work out, then the 30 gigs of online storage coupled with .mac's speed and stability will make .mac pretty much unstoppable.

Any advice?

John Davidson____ writer | producer | director____

Return to posts index

Bret WilliamsRe: The new .mac setup
by on Aug 14, 2007 at 1:06:45 pm

You basically get in touch with your registrar - the people you bought the domain from and/or the folks that control your dns entries. Set up a cname alias with them. You might be lucky enough to have an online control panel to do this, but it'll probably be via email or phone. Then you tell them to setup the cname to point to That's all. You won't actually use any space on your domain. In fact, you wouldn't need any space or hosting. Just the domain, which costs about $5 a year these days. At dot mac, you also fill in the little form which basically tells them to expect a forward from, etc. So, they accept the forward, and the addressbar will read with your domain name.

So it doesn't exactly integrate into an existing domain, unless you pull off some other add-on domains or tricks like that.

Return to posts index

Bret WilliamsRe: The new .mac setup
by on Aug 14, 2007 at 1:07:49 pm

Oops, forgot to mention that the alias is (I think!) but Apple tells you that on the setup form.

Return to posts index

John DavidsonRe: The new .mac setup
by on Aug 17, 2007 at 8:22:02 pm

Sweet. Thanks Bret!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved