FORUMS: list search recent posts

COW Forums : Web Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Nate Vander PlasNewbie
by on Jun 2, 2007 at 2:42:41 pm

I'm not really a web designer- more of a video guy - but I got this job working on a website. My inexperience is starting to show and I was wondering if there are any basic tutorials etc. to help me get into this. What I'm mainly looking for is code-related stuff (html or whatever) so I can actually fix things and do something besides links :)
I realize this is a pretty broad question, but I'm just looking for a start. Thanks in advance for any help you can offer!

Return to posts index

Curtis ThompsonRe: Newbie
by on Jun 2, 2007 at 3:39:06 pm

ya - unfortunately it is a rather broad question, just because i'm not sure what you need to learn - cgi? javascript? design? basic html? usability? database?

the world of web is equally as big as the world of video, so the best thing i can suggest is to learn the web in the same way that you learned video...there are a ton of books out there, or you can learn online for free, but unfortunately there's no magic bullet to learning web stuff...

if you are a book person, try o'reilly ( - good solid books on a variety of technical subjects that might help you out...

Return to posts index

natebostonRe: Newbie
by on Jun 4, 2007 at 12:30:01 pm

From one Newbie to another, I can offer you what I've learned.

The basic (and this is very basic) breakdown of how a website is made is this:

1. Create a design in Photoshop or some other imaging software.

2. Export (this is where photoshop comes in handy) your design with "slices". Photoshop even creates an HTML document for you.

3. Import your HTML file into a web creation application (such as Macromedia's Dreamweaver), and edit it to your liking.

4. Upload your HTML, image, movie, etc files to your web server and you're all set.

If you are trying to update a website, I would get your hands on Dreamweaver (or a similar program) and go from there. You can do quite a bit of "point and click" editing, and you don't have to know how to code. This will probably make all the real web guys on here cringe, because from what I gather Dreamweaver creates really ugly code. However, from a simplistic standpoint, it will get the job done for you and hopefully make you look like you know what you're doing ;-)

There are also a lot of books out there on this specific software, as well as others.

Good luck!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved