FORUMS: list search recent posts

Putting contents into an inline frame

COW Forums : Web Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dan Barter
Putting contents into an inline frame
on May 16, 2007 at 2:01:44 pm

HI,

This might be tough to deal with in a forum setting, but I'll give it a shot. You guys are all a whole lot smarter than me with this stuff, maybe you can point me in the right direction.

I'm using Adobe Golive and I'm setting up a small Web page for my company. I've got a main, index page and a second page. I created the second page with an inline frame in the center whose contents are a few different source html documents.

On the index page, I've got several buttons. For instance, under technology, I've got buttons for software help, hardware help, etc. Here's the deal. I want someone to click on the index page, software help and the link will be to page two, but I want the iFrame to fill with the source for Software help, If they click on the hardware help button on Index, I want the second page to load, with the iframe populated with the hardware help source.

I searched through Golive, but didn't find any sort of action thta would accomplish this. I'm guessing I might have to learn some real html for this one. Can someone point me in the right direction to solve this little problem?

Thanks!!!

Remo...

Return to posts index

Curtis Thompson
Re: Putting contents into an inline frame
on May 16, 2007 at 3:37:05 pm

hello...

ya - this is a common question, so i actually still have the mockup i did for previous versions on my site:

http://www.sitruc.com/cow/iframe/change_two.html

that should do what you need! :-)

sitruc

Return to posts index

Dan Barter
on May 17, 2007 at 4:14:33 pm

Sitruc,

I can see a little of how this works, but I'm not sure I get it. How do I "send" this from a referencing page? Say, from a page 1 button, I want page2 to load and the frame on page2 to fill up with any source I name with the page 1 button?

I'm sorry... Need a bit more help here. :)

Remo...

Name: Curtis Thompson
Date: May 16, 2007 at 3:37:05 pm
Subject: Re: Putting contents into an inline frame

hello...

ya - this is a common question, so i actually still have the mockup i did for previous versions on my site:

http://www.sitruc.com/cow/iframe/change_two.html

that should do what you need! :-)

sitruc"

Return to posts index

Curtis Thompson
on May 17, 2007 at 4:25:56 pm

hello...

in that case, you need to pass a get parameter to the 2nd page that tells it what page to load, and then parse parameter either with javascript (less reliable) or make all your pages a server side script page like php or jsp or asp or the likes...

the first page link would be something like:

[a href="page2.html?isrc=software.html"]page 2[/a]

and then page 2 would parse that passed parameter and show the proper iframe source using the above code, or even simpler would just be to make the iframe source the isrc param directly...

i don't know if such a change is feasible on your site - again, you can parse the parameter and extract it using javascript on page 2, but if the user has javascript disabled (and some do for paranoia reasons), then your system won't work...but php or a server-side language can easily read parameters:

$_GET["isrc"]

so it'd be much easer to grab that parameter. but if you are not comfortable with converting your site to use a scripting language, then i could make a mockup of the javascript concept for you...

sitruc

Return to posts index

Dan Barter
on May 18, 2007 at 1:20:24 pm

Sitruc,

Clearly this is beyond my skills. I just haven't done much in the way of Java. PHP and ASP are WAY out of my grasp. This is not an overly complicated site, and at this stage, my plans are very fluid, but I'm sure you've determined, my skills are very limited here. I'd welcome your help, but don't want to put you through the trials of teaching a beginner the ropes. I'm sure you've got more important things to do.

Let me ask you this, though. If I would like to become more knowledgeable in this regard, what training and or books would you recommend? Would you say PHP and SQL is the direction to take? I"ve heard Cold Fusion is very popular as well. I'd like to become more skilled for this website, as well as offer my company my skills in other areas as well. What would you recommend?

With regards to the site... Do you think there might be an easier way of doing what I'm suggesting? I'm sure php could handle it readily, but as I said, not my skillset. I can animate text and build 3D, but this isn't something I've ever been into.

Thanks

Remo...

[Curtis Thompson] "in that case, you need to pass a get parameter to the 2nd page that tells it what page to load, and then parse parameter either with javascript (less reliable) or make all your pages a server side script page like php or jsp or asp or the likes...

the first page link would be something like:

[a href="page2.html?isrc=software.html"]page 2[/a]

and then page 2 would parse that passed parameter and show the proper iframe source using the above code, or even simpler would just be to make the iframe source the isrc param directly...

i don't know if such a change is feasible on your site - again, you can parse the parameter and extract it using javascript on page 2, but if the user has javascript disabled (and some do for paranoia reasons), then your system won't work...but php or a server-side language can easily read parameters:

$_GET["isrc"]

so it'd be much easer to grab that parameter. but if you are not comfortable with converting your site to use a scripting language, then i could make a mockup of the javascript concept for you...

sitruc"

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]