FORUMS: list search recent posts

Developing my first website .....

COW Forums : Web Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
LauraITTDeveloping my first website .....
by on Apr 16, 2007 at 1:57:27 pm

I am developing a new website and as this is my first proper website
I need help. Can any one tell me step by step what I have to do ? Im going to buy a template. So my first question is where can I get nice but cheap templates ? I then need to know what do I do after I have website done, how do I get a domain name, and how do I get it online ?? These could have simple answers but as I said its my first proper website.
Thanks a million in advance
Laura

Return to posts index

Curtis ThompsonRe: Developing my first website .....
by on Apr 16, 2007 at 3:03:02 pm

hello...

unfortunately, building a website is not a simple checklist... :-(

to roughly go through your list - there isn't a single place to get templates - there are thousands of places that will sell templates of varying quality, so about all i can offer is to google up a few. never used them myself, so i don't have any valid resources on that...

after you build the site, you register a domain at a place like network solutions or register or the likes, or, you can find a 3rd party isp (host, which you'll need anyway) and have them set up the domain and point it to their name servers. otherwise, you'll register the name yourself, set up a 3rd party hosting plan (search this forum for recommendations, or again google a few) and then point the name servers for your domain to that 3rd party's name servers.

then after it's all set up, ftp your website up to the folder the isp provides and the site is online...

unfortunately, that's the process - a book could devote entire chapters to this process, so it's hard to answer it all here...i would also recommend google for this and type things like "setup website faq" or the likes...

hope that helps and i'm really not trying to be snippy - you just sort of asked a very broad question that is hard to answer in a forum post...

sitruc

Return to posts index

LauraITTRe: Developing my first website .....
by on Apr 16, 2007 at 3:20:28 pm

Ya I had all ready looked up loads of templates, but none took my fancy, so I was wondering was I missing any major ones but I guess I wasnt. And thanks for the next pices of info because I really hadnt a clue where to go after I created it. I need a website with about 5 pages, with pictures and text describing the pictures. Thats it narrowed down any way. Would dreamweaver be the best way to go ? Or maybe wysiwyg ? I have some knowledge of html but Im not sure if its enough to create a website.

Return to posts index

by on Apr 16, 2007 at 3:33:50 pm

hello...

well - dreamweaver is wysiwyg, or you can hand-code it...however it is a pricey piece of software, so i can't just say that's what you need - i personally hand-code everything and find that quite satisfactory, but that's just me...

maybe download a demo of dw and see if it's to your liking?

sitruc

Return to posts index

LauraITTRe: Developing my first website .....
by on Apr 16, 2007 at 3:38:20 pm

[Curtis Thompson] "dreamweaver is wysiwyg"

Silly me !! The person who wants me to do the website has the full version of dreamweaver so I can use that. Any way thank you for your help, Im sure I will be back once the website is done looking for more help on how to get it online ! Thanks again

Return to posts index

by on Apr 16, 2007 at 3:46:10 pm

hello...

sure - come on back and ask anything you need - best of luck to you! :-)

sitruc

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]