FORUMS: list search recent posts

Pricing for a Website

COW Forums : Web Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
avrnosnPricing for a Website
by on Apr 15, 2007 at 8:58:39 pm

I just finished coding a website, and I'm not sure how to price it. First of all, here's the link, so you'll know what I'm talking about:
The design (the actual images) and videos were made by a different company. Originally, this was on an interactive cd rom. I had to take the original images, create buttons, link pages, and most of all, create 2 versions of the site; a default flash site, for which I had to encode all the qt movies in flash format, and a qt version.

Now I'd like to know how much you guys would charge for the kind of work that went into this site. The reason I'm asking, is that I was learning as I was creating, so it took me very much longer than it would have otherwise. Not that I don't have any experience, it's just that I've never done this kind of site before (with all the videos, etc.)

So the point is - I can't charge based on the time it actually took ME to produce. How much is such a site worth???

I hope I was clear enough. Thanks for any help.

A. Perl
Tam Graphics

Return to posts index

Curtis ThompsonRe: Pricing for a Website
by on Apr 15, 2007 at 9:34:16 pm

you can't really assign a fixed price to a site - typically you make an estimate up front and then try to keep to that. in your case with learning, it's harder, but then you should figure what it's worth to you to do the site and learn at the same time and talk with the client and let them know that and give them a are very at risk at this stage of having to eat a lot of cost because your client has no idea what you'll be charging...

say, for example, that i told you here that a site with that type of content, video, etc. etc. should be worth $1000 - could you go to your client now with a $1k bill in hand and get paid?

if you totally treated it as a learning experience and you've had no discussions about cost to this point, then i'd go to your client and ask them they think the site is worth and go from there. you can't now blind-side them with an invoice for an amount, as what you invoice for may be _Way_ more than they can/want to pay...then if that happens, you're stuck either just lowering your total (which is going to look odd to the client - if you can just lower the bill, why were you charging so much in the first place) or just burn the bridge with the client and try to get them to pay - either is not a good situation, i'm afraid... :-(

all of this said, that site looks like it would typically go in the $500 - $1k range (considering the quality of work and also factoring in assumptions about that client being a smaller fish in the world, which is also a factor and not meant to be an insult to them), although it would depend how much video editing had to happen - if you did a lot of video work, the site gets much more expensive quick...

hope that helps...

Return to posts index

avrnosnRe: Pricing for a Website
by on Apr 15, 2007 at 11:59:42 pm

Hi Curtis.

Your reply helped me more than you can imagine. Thank you for your input.

I don't have any problem submitting the bill to client, and here's why.
He's a long established client who has done print graphics with me many times in the past. This is his first web job, and one of my first web assignments. When he gave me the job, he asked for a quote. At that time I had no idea, but I thought, to cover myself, I should pitch it high - so I said it could be as much as $2500. He did raise his eyebrows and asked why so much - I told him I couldn't be sure at that stage of how much coding was involved, and that I hoped it would be lower.

So now, you may ask, what's the problem - why not charge as much as I feel like up to that amount? And the answer is trust - I know he's going to pay whatever I ask. He knows I'm going to be perfectly honest and fair. So I needed to know how much such a site would cost when done by someone else, in order to know the fair market price. And you've given me the answer - or AN answer which helps tremendously.

Return to posts index

Curtis ThompsonRe: Pricing for a Website
by on Apr 16, 2007 at 12:04:41 am

[avrnosn] "So now, you may ask, what's the problem - why not charge as much as I feel like up to that amount"

i wouldn't ask that at all - that's a lot to charge somebody for something, and i don't believe in gouging people just because you can...

and wrt to the price - it does depend on the amount of video work done, but i'd say for the site alone (separating the video and assuming that it was handed to me all done and ready to go), i'd say probably in the $750 range maybe? then tack on your video work and you'll get a total... :-)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved