FORUMS: list search recent posts

Website Navigation Coming Up Under Images

COW Forums : Web Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
GnA Productions
Website Navigation Coming Up Under Images
on Mar 28, 2007 at 7:59:56 pm

Ok.....here my issue. Ive got a website here.

http://www.usa.makelifebetter.com/blf_corp/

the center image is a javascvipt that loads a different image everytime you come to the site......and the Navigation ont he left...is Java....and it popups OVER the center image.....Thats how it should work. But my bosses want the images in the center to rotate and fade nicely every 10 seconds....So...I thought Flash.......But...when using flash...the navigation on the side....pops up UNDER the center image.....and that wont do. So....I re-created the images fading and stuff using java and CSS....seen here.

http://www.usa.makelifebetter.com/blf_corp/index_test.html

But the navigation STILL shows up UNDER the center image. Any idea how to fix this problem?

Thanks in advance guys!

Jacob

Return to posts index

Curtis Thompson
Re: Website Navigation Coming Up Under Images
on Mar 28, 2007 at 9:05:38 pm

hello...

if everything is now html, then try setting the z-index property for the floating nav submenus to something above 1 - like to be safe, say 100...

if that doesn't work then let me know...

sitruc

Return to posts index

GnA Productions
on Mar 28, 2007 at 9:19:02 pm

Z-Index property? Where would I find this in html?
I wasn't aware of such a thing haha

Jacob

Return to posts index

GnA Productions
on Mar 28, 2007 at 9:38:46 pm

It would also be nice to not have to use Layers.

Return to posts index

Curtis Thompson
on Mar 28, 2007 at 9:42:26 pm

hello...

z-index is a css property used to vertically place items on a page (think z of an x/y/z 3d space)...absolute positioned items with a higher z-index are shown above other page elements...

http://www.w3schools.com/css/pr_pos_z-index.asp

sitruc

Return to posts index

GnA Productions
on Mar 28, 2007 at 10:03:56 pm

So......how would i work out the position of the image.....it's not exactly absolute.....it's in a table, and that table is center justified on the screen.

I guess i'll have to tinker with it.

Return to posts index

GnA Productions
on Mar 28, 2007 at 10:07:04 pm

So i was playing with it......and this is teh code i used....

img.x
{
position:relative;
left:0px;
top:0px;
z-index:100
}

but when i use that....it appears the flyout menus stop working......any ideas there?

Return to posts index

Curtis Thompson
on Mar 28, 2007 at 10:08:40 pm

hello...

not the image - the navigation menus themselves - position those higher in the z-index...

this is just a suggestion based on the concept here - i have not reviewed your code, as i don't have enough time to do so now - but the basic concept is that somewhere you either have a layer or a container that is above those menus...

sitruc

Return to posts index

GnA Productions
on Mar 28, 2007 at 10:13:49 pm

Nope...no layers or anything. Essentially.....I have an image with hotspots..and from those hotspots......and popup menu opens up. It was all puttogether in dreamweaver...so the code for the menu is in the page........This site was just thrown together because my boss wanted it NOW NOW NOW ya know? haha

If you could....when you've got time....take a look at the code? Cause I haven't had any luck.

Thanks a million

Jacob

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Mar 31, 2007 at 5:01:01 am

You need to design around the flash. Flash by default just kinda takes over. Always in front as long as it's playing.

Go look at Adobe's web site. They have numerous pull down menus that disappear under the flash animation below it as you mouse over. They may work better in IE, but in Safari I see this problem everywhere. I figure if Adobe can't make it work perfectly, I'm not gonna have much luck.

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Mar 31, 2007 at 5:11:42 am

Looks like the Adobe problem is only in Safari. Not FF or IE on either Mac or Windows.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]