FORUMS: list search recent posts

2 level menu in Flash or Java?

COW Forums : Web Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
theFiddler2 level menu in Flash or Java?
by on Mar 18, 2007 at 5:02:24 pm

I just want to do a pretty simple little menu for my website. It would have a row of buttons, which you can click, or when you mouse over each of them a new row of subcategories would appear below. I've looked around and there is a lot of software that will do this for you, but its all fairly expensive. I just want one menu for this one site, which is going to be a source/host for freely available information. I was hoping to do this without spending much if any, since the website is all about free stuff anyway.

So does anyone know where I might find one that is actually free that I can use? I'd like the files for the menu to be separate, not embeded in the HTML of the web page, so that I can change the menu and it will change on all my pages, without manually updating them. Thanks in advance for any help.

--the Fiddler

Return to posts index

Curtis ThompsonRe: 2 level menu in Flash or Java?
by on Mar 18, 2007 at 5:40:07 pm

hello...

well - 2 items here. one is the menus - there are a ton of free ones out there (http://www.google.com/search?q=dhtml+menu), but there are a few that do cost but only in the $30-$40 usd range (like http://www.milonic.com/) - i always write my own when i need one (or just leverage old code i have), but even to have someone like me do it would easily be a few hours of time, so if you figure an average rate in the $50-$80/hr range, suddenly $30 isn't so bad. they aren't hard to write at all if you know javascript and html, but it might be worth it if you don't to get a professional one that will give you support if you run into problems...

the 2nd issue of having the menu not in the html - you can use any current scripting language (php, asp, jsp, etc.) or ssi (server side includes - older, but still around) and create templates for headers, menus and footers and then just have all the pages reference those templates instead of putting the code in all the pages themselves - alternately, some javascript/dhtml menu systems will let you put all the settings in an external js lib file that you can reference from each page - just depends on the system...

so sorry i don't have a specific product to refer you to, but i hope this answer helps a bit - if you have any more questions then please feel free to ask! :-)

sitruc

Return to posts index

theFiddlerRe: 2 level menu in Flash or Java?
by on Mar 19, 2007 at 3:20:20 am

Alright, so maybe I should just pay the $30 and buy one.

"the 2nd issue of having the menu not in the html - you can use any current scripting language (php, asp, jsp, etc.) or ssi (server side includes - older, but still around) and create templates for headers, menus and footers and then just have all the pages reference those templates instead of putting the code in all the pages themselves - alternately, some javascript/dhtml menu systems will let you put all the settings in an external js lib file that you can reference from each page - just depends on the system..."

Yeah, I know you can do that. In fact I've wanted to do a website that way for a long time. However, I'm not much for coding and have never seen a good alternative for setting it all up through coding it yourself. Its just too much of a time commitment for me to learn that stuff. So I'd hoped to do something like what you say where it's contained in a .js file or the equivalent in flash. This way just the menu could be updated to reflect changes to the site.

I'll probably just bite the bullet and buy a flash one I saw that makes you customize it through an XML file. Thanks so much for your help and quick reply. I'd just hoped maybe there was an alternative.

--the Fiddler

Return to posts index

by on Mar 19, 2007 at 5:05:05 am

hello...

[theFiddler] " I'd just hoped maybe there was an alternative."

there are really a ton of alternatives - the flash one can work nicely with the xml, and the template suggestion really is very basic programming, however it is programming...but really not hard at all - if you've been wanting to learn it, then by all means i say why not the present for learning it? it is literally:

and then that header template has all the html for your nav menu, and you put the above where you want it in an html file and rename the extension to php - that's about all there is to it...

sitruc

Return to posts index

by on Mar 21, 2007 at 4:11:50 am

I guess I didn't realize that the static parts were just html, but renamed to a php extension. You're making it sound a lot easier than I thought it would be. Is there a good place you recomend that starts on a pretty basic level? I mean I know html enough (and have FronPage 2003), and a little about other programing languages. But it seems like most of the time when I've looked at trying to do this, where part of the page was static and the rest would change from page to page, most of what I've found was way over my head. Or maybe it wasn't, but they were using technical terms and such I wasn't up to date on.

Really, if I could do this page my way, I'd just have a general template and the only thing that would change between most pages is the main text body and possibly some pictures. In the past I've just created the page, then re-saved it for each variation. You're getting me excited that it won't be too hard to learn how to do it the right way. But again, any tutorials or websites or whatever that start on a fairly basic level that I can look at to get started? Just haven't seemed to find the right ones or something.

--the Fiddler

Return to posts index

by on Mar 21, 2007 at 5:32:03 am

hello...

it's hard for me to offer a good tutorial site for this - i haven't been looking at tutorial sites for years, so i don't know which one is necessarily better to learn from or not... :-/

i did make a quick example here myself:

http://sitruc.com/cow/php_include/

you can click on the simple example to see it and then download the zip file - that has all the code from the example and it is a very simple template model to get you started...

hope that helps!

sitruc

Return to posts index

by on Mar 21, 2007 at 3:07:56 pm

Not sure I'm getting the variable idea yet, but that's okay I'll mess with it untill I do. The "include_once" concept seems easy enough though. Thanks so much for this, I think I'm going to get it down and do this site right.

Really, thanks a lot. I appreciate the help a ton.

--the Fiddler

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]