I preparing to upgrade the shopping on my site which has over 150 products. Have been using Miva Merchant for over 8 years. I'm wondering if it would be worth converting to OSCommerce. What are the advantages/disadvantages of both systems?
it's a lengthy discussion to break them both down, but here's the highlights from my experience with both:
1. license fees (aka not free)
2. cumbersome admin interface
3. hard to customize
4. requires isp to install typically
5. additional plug-ins and features have to be purchased (aka not free)
1. open source (aka free)
2. easier access to db and code (mysql and php)
3. easier to customize _if_ you know php and mysql; otherwise no easier than miva
4. open source community of additional libraries and plug-ins
so if you don't know programming, it's probably better to stick with miva, i think, just because it has a company behind it to offer support and it is probably a bit more stable..but if you have to pay the license fees for miva yourself or you need customizations, then you might like oscommerce...