FORUMS: list search recent posts

Rss feed

COW Forums : Web Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bob O DellRss feed
by on Dec 18, 2006 at 3:43:31 am

I need this for a client.
Where do I start? Any sugestions? Software names.

Willing to pay for a solution..
No branding on contet.. So I can't use a site that offers it.

Return to posts index

Curtis ThompsonRe: Rss feed
by on Dec 18, 2006 at 5:33:23 am

while there probably are tools that help you generate rss feeds, you can also easily do it yourself - it's just a text file and then you put a link to that file on your site...rss is xml-based, and once you generate that rss file, you just put a link to that file in your site and then the user's browser reads it, recognizes it as rss and deals with it. while the aforementioned tools are out there, because there is no voodoo to it, it's usually much easier to just set it up yourself.

the best shortcut to learning on this that i can offer is this search from google:

the key is to not be intimidated by the wrapper that your browser puts around an rss feed - you don't have to deal with that part - all you do is create the .xml file and the user's browser takes it from there. xml is very much like html, so with a little practice, you can be making rss feeds in no time...

one caveat - rss is dependent on their browser supporting it (firefox and safari are the best at it), but it is extremely common to not bother yourself with that but rather just offer the link and not worry about the user being able to deal with it or not - note that if you are not a savvy web user and you see the term "rss feed" or the little orange defacto "xml" logo, you won't have any urge to click on it, so in a sense it's the perfect interface - experienced people see it and use it while others ignore it...

hope that helps!

Return to posts index

Bob O DellRe: Rss feed
by on Dec 18, 2006 at 6:06:41 am

Yes, great help.
I get it now.

Thanks Curtis

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved