FORUMS: list search recent posts

What To Do About Old Active Content

COW Forums : Web Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
RBGWhat To Do About Old Active Content
by on Oct 30, 2006 at 7:23:49 pm

Hi y'all.

I'm sure this has been dealt with before but maybe I could beg a little advice or a link anyway.

I've known about IE's active content squelch for quite a while but only when my ISP accidently erased my whole site did I feel compelled to do something about it, during the re-construction I now face.

I figured that IE's new plan would trash all my cool off-the-shelf animations and such but what I wasn't prepared for is that my IE 6 doesn't even show rollover changes where one graphic is replaced by another. Is that considered "active content"?? Yikes.

So I found one site that is practically Greek that seems to be telling me how to deal with this all.

But are there any other suggestions or idiot-proof sites that might help?

I'm running the ancient Dreamweaver 3. My site was complex and looked like a million bucks. But to a professional coder, the source code would have been a nightmare. However, for a guy who only used it for his one site, it all seemed good enough.

Anyone know if a DW update would be able to automatically format my web site to the new way of doing IE business? And what are people doing for animations and rollover graphics if IE is now blocking all active content and making it permission-based only???

Return to posts index

Curtis ThompsonRe: What To Do About Old Active Content
by on Oct 31, 2006 at 7:44:38 pm

a simple rollover won't be active content - so if those aren't working then there is another culprit...

do you have a copy that we can see somewhere to debug?

Return to posts index

RBGRe: What To Do About Old Active Content
by on Nov 1, 2006 at 5:15:24 pm

That's very kind of you to offer. Give me about three days to get the whole thing online again and I'll post a note here.

I really didn't think a rollover would not function. Maybe things will be different after I upload. I'll analyze a little closer to make sure the rollover link hasn't somehow disappeared. I can tell you that when I do roll over, presently I get the little pointer finger.

But what about active content like activeX applets? What are people doing instead or to compensate for IE requiring prior permissions to view?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved