FORUMS: list search recent posts

Wanting to start my own web development business???

COW Forums : Web Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Kelly123Wanting to start my own web development business???
by on Sep 8, 2006 at 10:46:32 pm

I would like to start creating websites for a business. I need to know how to go about hosting theses sites. Can I just get an account with someone like GODADDY.COM and set up the domains? I need any and all information and help anyone can provide me. Thanks.

Return to posts index

Bret WilliamsRe: Wanting to start my own web development business???
by on Sep 9, 2006 at 3:10:34 am

This is an odd question. Kinda like "I'd like to start a hamburger restaurant. What temperature should I cook the hamburgers at?"

In any case, the truth is you can host them wherever you want, or wherever your client wants, or wherever they already have an account, or wherever you ask them to setup an account, or wherever you get them to set up an account, or wherever has the right technology for the site you're developing. Personally I feel GoDaddy is more into showing me lots of ugly ads on it's site. I use lunarpages for most clients that don't have a host already. I usually have them set up the account and give me the passwords. But you may want to be more in charge of your clients acct. You may want to pay their monthly bill for them and mark it up. Me, I just want to create the site, and lunarpages has everything I need with great support for a good price.

Return to posts index

ajs006Re: Wanting to start my own web development business???
by on Sep 9, 2006 at 3:28:25 am

Gotta be honest, it doesn't sound like you know what you are getting into. I used to freelance for a handful of web design clients, and they will not take crap if you don't know what's going on.. (and they shouldn't). I would recommend that you build some sites for some friends of yours for next to nothing (or absolutely nothing) so you can see what it is like to work with a third party, but without the stresses of managing it professionally. Once you get that process down, you can decide if this is something you're willing to put your reputation on the line for. It is hard to run your own business, even IF you know all the answers to the questions you ask, and more.

Asking about hosting is one of the more rudimentary concepts in web design, and if you don't have a handle on that yet, you might want to delay your ambitions a while. Otherwise, you may find yourself unexpectedly overwhelmed.

For me, the part about freelancing that I hated the most was having to maintain a site that I already built. I love web design, but the vast majority of the time spent on these sites was long after the site was designed and finished.. it was all the updates all the time for the information presented on its pages. Changes concert schedules, board members, etc.. was a total bore, felt like manual labor to me.

Return to posts index

Curtis ThompsonRe: Wanting to start my own web development business???
by on Sep 9, 2006 at 6:00:58 pm

i'd agree with the other 2 posts here for the most part, but i think one can use a combination of scaled rates and being up front with potential clients and end up learning on the job without causing any headaches for the people they're working for...

so with that model in mind, just be sure to get a full understanding of what a client wants for their given project when you begin - this alone will take practice, because they don't know what they want until you ask. but you'll learn what to ask, and be honest with them and say "look, i'm just starting out, and i'd love to do your project...but because i'm learning as we go on some things, i'd like to offer you a cut rate of $[X]/hr" - they'll like that and as long as you don't do things you can't do or at least tell them that you can do what they want but that you'll have to research it first on your own time then you'll be ok.

be up front and honest and ready to learn a lot of things the hard way...but i don't know of any training or school program that teaches you how to run your own web design business, so if you want to do it, you have to learn somehow, and what better way to learn then by trying?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved