FORUMS: list search recent posts

simple CSS for href acts stubborn

COW Forums : Web Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
ajs006
simple CSS for href acts stubborn
on Sep 8, 2006 at 5:59:15 pm

I can't for the life of me figure out why this little CSS code does absolutely nothing:

a.home:hover {
text-decoration: underline;
font-family: Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;
font-size: 12pt;
color: #ffffff;
}

The page in question is:

http://andrew.suso.org/music/

And this CSS is for the Home link at the bottom of the page.

Very strange -- the formatting such as the underline does nothing!

I appreciate any help before i go nuts over this thing...
Andrew

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
Re: simple CSS for href acts stubborn
on Sep 9, 2006 at 3:14:10 am

For me it changes to white and underlines when I hover over it. What did you want it to do? Perhaps you just need to refresh your browser. Empty the cache, etc.

Return to posts index

ajs006
on Sep 9, 2006 at 3:21:58 am

Very odd. That is exactly what it is supposed to do, but even after clearing my cache in IE as well as Firefox, it won't do it. The the CSS classes are working fine, though. There is something about this particular class, as basic as it is, that is not showing up for me at all on either browser. Totally stumped!

Return to posts index

Curtis Thompson
on Sep 9, 2006 at 5:55:11 pm

hello...

this looks like an old bug i saw years ago in ie that i never found any proof of or documentation for, but yet i could re-create it consistently. i don't know if it's your case here or not, because as bret noted, it works for me in ie and firefox as well. but regardless, i'll share...

i found that i had to put a hover css style _after_ the visited and default styles or else it wouldn't work (like after top to bottom) - makes absolutely no sense, but like i said - i could recreate it in ie all the time about 3 years ago...so this:

a.home { ... }
a.home:hover { ... }
a.home:visited { ... }

would not show the hover in ie, but this would:

a.home { ... }
a.home:visited { ... }
a.home:hover { ... }

your issue reminded me of that, so i figured i'd share - but again, it does seem to be doing what you want for me here as it stands...

sitruc

Return to posts index

ajs006
on Sep 9, 2006 at 6:33:52 pm

oh my god, i did what you said, as silly as it seems, and now it is working for me. HOW STRANGE. this reminds you that computers are temperamental beasts that sometimes defy the logic and structure that they are supposed to be paradigms of.

the CSS for that one link was not behaving properly in either IE or Firefox on this end, but now it does, just be changing the ordering.

i am absolutely flabbergasted by this bizarre twist.

thanks for sharing!

-andrew

Return to posts index

Curtis Thompson
on Sep 9, 2006 at 6:41:59 pm

hello...

well - as depressing as it is that this bug is still around, i'm glad that the fix for it still works, too... :-)

sitruc

Return to posts index

ajs006
on Sep 10, 2006 at 6:08:05 am

hey while we're on this topic, are the two following class definitions considered equally functionaly and correct? I've used both and they operate the same:

a:hover.toplink { ... }
a.toplink:hover { ... }

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]