FORUMS: list search recent posts

Setting webmail as default e-mail (or setting web forms to fire up webmail)

COW Forums : Web Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Peter Wardley-RepenSetting webmail as default e-mail (or setting web forms to fire up webmail)
by on Aug 1, 2006 at 9:54:42 am

Is this doable? I have two applications in mind:

1. My employer favours a webmail app rather than clients like Outlook, Thunderbird, etc. We have many online forms on our intranet, so it would be good to be able to get the forms to fire up the webmail app instead of the user's chosen client.

2. People using public-access computers to fill in forms on our external website obviously don't have access to an actual client on the machine they're using, so it would be good to be able to allow them to pick a webmail app (gmail etc) to send the form.

TIA,

Peter

Return to posts index

Peter Wardley-RepenDoh! I meant mailto: links, not forms
by on Aug 1, 2006 at 1:24:26 pm

Obviously, forms are handled by the web server so there's no issue. What I meant to ask (I was working on a for at the time, so I mistakenly wrote the post in terms of forms) was, is there a way to get a mailto: link to offer to use webmail rather than the default e-mail client that's set on the computer?

I suspect not, but thought it was worth a try...

TIA (again!)

Return to posts index

Curtis ThompsonRe: Doh! I meant mailto: links, not forms
by on Aug 1, 2006 at 2:38:22 pm

hello...

alas, no. the mailto: link tells their browser to use their default mail client, and you don't really have any control over that, unfortunately... :-/

(plus with webmail, they'd have to log in, etc., so you couldn't just really pop up a webmail inbox very easily)

sorry to not have a better answer for you...

sitruc

Return to posts index

Curtis ThompsonRe: Doh! I meant mailto: links, not forms
by on Aug 1, 2006 at 2:38:23 pm

hello...

alas, no. the mailto: link tells their browser to use their default mail client, and you don't really have any control over that, unfortunately... :-/

(plus with webmail, they'd have to log in, etc., so you couldn't just really pop up a webmail inbox very easily)

sorry to not have a better answer for you...

sitruc

Return to posts index

Peter Wardley-RepenRe: Doh! I meant mailto: links, not forms
by on Aug 1, 2006 at 3:51:25 pm

Aha. I thought probably not, but it was worth floating it to see if anyone had a solution. Thanks, Curtis.

atb,

Peter

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]