FORUMS: list search recent posts

CSS Page Load Order

COW Forums : Web Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
vanpraag
CSS Page Load Order
on Jul 24, 2006 at 2:11:15 pm

Alright, so I have a fairly decent grasp of the many feats CSS can accomplish when it comes to design. However, one thing I am still unclear on is exactly how precise of control can be accomplished through page order and elemnt list order when it comes to page loading. It seems to me that regardless of list order on a single page or even seperate CSS pages linked in a certain order on the index, elements still load based on size. Any help in the matter would be greatly appreciated.

Return to posts index

Curtis Thompson
Re: CSS Page Load Order
on Jul 24, 2006 at 5:14:46 pm

hello...

not sure what you mean by size - do you mean item size? you can use the dom inspector from mozilla to see what order things are loaded in - here's the wikipedia entry on doms in general:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Document_Object_Model

that might get you going in the direction you need...if not, please let us know!

sitruc

Return to posts index

vanpraag
on Jul 24, 2006 at 6:15:09 pm

I am not entirely sure if the Wikipedia link is to my point, but thank you. To break things down as basic as possible. I want to delegate what order in which every element will load onto a viewers screen. I want image A, B, and C to load, then this text, then IMAGE D, so on and so forth. Is this possible? More precisely through CSS coding?

Return to posts index

Curtis Thompson
on Jul 24, 2006 at 7:04:25 pm

hello...

ahh - i see. well the wikipedia article is sort of related to what you're asking then...you can't control the order in which things are loaded on your page with css, and you really can't control it in general. typically a dom will load your page from top to bottom, but it won't wait for a given item to load before proceeding to load another...

there's no good way to determine via scripting if an item is done loading, however you could potentially try to set up a timer system that used javascript to evaluate the dimensions of an image and then if they were the desired width and height, you could move on to another image...i saw a thread on it once but never tried anything with it. you could basically have an empty image tag or use a filler byte to hold a width and height - then swap the img src with javascript and track to see if the swapped in image has loaded - when it has, you can call a function to repeat the process but on another image on the page and so on and so on.

but outside of that, there's no good way to control how things are loaded on your page outside of in a flash movie... :-/

sitruc

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]