FORUMS: list search recent posts

Shooting Video for web

COW Forums : Web Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
RizzerShooting Video for web
by on Jun 28, 2006 at 5:23:13 pm

Hi

I have a noob question. When I shoot video on XL-1, what is the best way to export it for the web. I am not talking about codecs, but the pixel aspect ratio. Since my XL-1 shoots in .9 and the web is square-pixel. Also, all the new LCD displays are so different than the CRTs. It seems that what would be color correct for television is too dark for the LCDs, but usually fine on a CRT. And with everyone having their settings different is there anyway to "standardize" output? Thanks in advance for any advice!

Return to posts index

Curtis ThompsonRe: Shooting Video for web
by on Jun 28, 2006 at 5:32:41 pm

hello...

there is no standard resolution (x-y that is) for the web, but typically you offer a few different resolutions that correspond to file sizes that would be nice for different bandwidths to download - so like 1mb, 5mb and then [X]mb, where [X] is your full res version. but even that rule doesn't always apply so well, as it depends on the purpose of the video and who your target audience is likely to be...typical ratios (for 4:3) are 240x160, 320x240 and then 640x480. but sites like apple and others also now very typically put up hd resolution files as well...

as for crt vs. lcd - all you can do is test your own video in different situations and do the best you can to get it nice for all types...you unfortunately have no control over the lighting situation of your site visitors, and that can vary greatly.

sitruc

Return to posts index

RizzerRe: Shooting Video for web
by on Jun 28, 2006 at 5:58:44 pm

Thanks for the advice Curtis,

I am still a bit confused~

So there will be no noticable "squeezing" since 4:3 in 0.9 is different than 4:3 in 1.0? When i do a graphic in PS in square pixel aspect ratio and then bring it into my video editor it gets noticably squeezed. So i have to make my project at 720x540 then resample in the end (i am still running PS 7.0).

Does this not happen when I send a 0.9 video into the web's 1.0 pixel aspect ratio space? Do I need to export the video from my editor in 1.0? Or are you saying the web will compensate and there will be no noticable "squeezing"?

Thanks again

Return to posts index

Curtis ThompsonRe: Shooting Video for web
by on Jun 28, 2006 at 6:28:55 pm

hello...

alas i am not a video professional, so i can't give you 100% solid advice on that sort of thing (try some of our other video forums for better details on that)...but here's a somewhat related breakdown:

http://www.bealecorner.com/trv900/16to9.html

if you have different aspect ratios and other issues, you pretty much have the choice or stretching/shrinking or cropping...at that point it pretty much becomes whichever looks better...in your example here:

[Rizzer] "So there will be no noticable "squeezing" since 4:3 in 0.9 is different than 4:3 in 1.0? When i do a graphic in PS in square pixel aspect ratio and then bring it into my video editor it gets noticably squeezed. So i have to make my project at 720x540 then resample in the end (i am still running PS 7.0)."

the only thing i can add with my level of expertise is to plan ahead for your desired output source when filming if at all possible. but ya - if you shoot in non-square and send it to a square output, something has to give somewhere...

i would also recommend searching the cow archives for phrases like "non-square" and things like that (sans quotes) - i know this has come up a ton in the past, and you will likely find quite a few discussions in the archives about it...

hope that helps!

sitruc

Return to posts index

Bret WilliamsRe: Shooting Video for web
by on Jun 30, 2006 at 2:52:15 pm

You have to convert your .9 to 1. Using DV as an example, 720x480 is not a 4:3 format on the computer screen, since it will be displayed as 1 instead of .9. You could convert that to 640x480 for the computer screen to see it in the correct perspective. Or 320x240 or any other 4:3 ratio as Curtis mentioned.

Return to posts index

RizzerRe: Shooting Video for web
by on Jun 30, 2006 at 2:59:18 pm

Thanks Bret

I will experiment with setting up an After Effects project as 640x480 in SP - then importing my .9 and adjusting it to fit.

Return to posts index

by on Jul 3, 2006 at 4:31:09 am

If you bring a 720x480 non-square (.9) image into a 640x480 AE comp, AE will do the work for you and it will fit as they are actually the same size image. In other words, they both fill the same 4:3 space. You'll not have to adjust anything.

Return to posts index

by on Jun 30, 2006 at 2:57:15 pm

Oddly I usually find that PC users that have LCDs tend to be able to view videos better than the CRT users. For some reason (gamma) PC CRTs are just dark as hell. In the past video was actually washed out on computer screen because analog video had an elevated black level, but now with DV there is a true black level. But it further crushes the blacks, making videoi on PCs (not macs) look really dark. The answer is to adjust the gamma in your compression program (compressor, sorensen squeeze, cleaner, etc.) to make the clip as washed out as you can handle on your mac, and probably just slightly dark on PCs.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]