FORUMS: list search recent posts

new q on layers

COW Forums : Web Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bret Williamsnew q on layers
by on May 23, 2006 at 10:06:01 pm

Ok, now I've got a layer successfully inside a cell and it generally stays where I want. Thanks Curtis!

But, the positioning is about 20 pixels higher in IE Mac. I can't figure out another way to position it.

I've now uploaded to the new domain, http://www.thevisualartsgroup.com

Return to posts index

Bret WilliamsRe: new q on layers
by on May 23, 2006 at 10:08:02 pm

forgot to mention, the layer inside the cell is the 3 boxes labeled sales & mktg, training, projects.

They look the same in Safari and Firefox, but appear higher in IE mac. Argh.

Return to posts index

Curtis ThompsonRe: new q on layers
by on May 23, 2006 at 10:39:08 pm

hello...

if ie on a mac is your only culprit, then i'd say let it go - you'd be dealing with probably less than 10% of 8% of your visitors - that's not enough to stress over that bit of placement woe, imho...

sitruc

Return to posts index

by on May 23, 2006 at 10:41:51 pm

I can always achieve the same thing with tables, especially since you helped me get the random image as a background image. But I was trying to move into the 21st century and start using layers.

If you have IE on windows can you see if it's same issue? Firefox is usually consistent across platorms, but not IE.

Return to posts index

Curtis ThompsonRe: new q on layers
by on May 24, 2006 at 4:35:10 am

hello...

it acutually looks quite different on ie/win - the text is next to each picture there...

i'd say go with a table for that - tables are very handy and often a lot more reliable than all the newfangled technology the kids today use...

sitruc

Return to posts index

by on May 24, 2006 at 3:12:38 pm

Yikes. There is a table within the layer of course. But just 3 cells, not 6. I wanted the text to highlight when you mouse over the image so I had to keep them in the same cell. IE has never paid any attention to cell code, whether it be cell size or percentage or what. The mac version, 5.5 is light years ahead in this realm usually. When I work in DW, Safari shows things as DW does. Firefox, close. IE, never. IE windows? Fuhgettaboutit.

Return to posts index

by on May 24, 2006 at 3:52:50 pm

Hey Curtis, can you check it now? I gave the cells exact widths.

ALSO, I think I fixed the IE layer positioning problem. FWIW, the relative positioning of the layer within the cell is not based on a coordinate from the top left. It's a coordinate based on the cell positioning. The table cell I had was set to default. In Safari or Firefox, that is the top. In IE Mac, it's centered or baseline or something like that. (I'm continually having to adjust sites after seeing them in IE!)

So I tried setting the cell to top aligned, middle, and bottom and of course adjusting the coordinates of the layer. Still looked different in IE. I ended up having to use "baseline" as the centering for the cell, and then adjust the coordinates of the layer and all was perfect. At least on the mac side in all 3 major browsers.

Can ya check the IE windows?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]