FORUMS: list search recent posts

bus ticket purchasing system?

COW Forums : Web Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bret Williamsbus ticket purchasing system?
by on May 3, 2006 at 2:36:53 am

I'm looking for a system or service that allows visitors to purchase bus tickets, charge them, and get a confirmation number. I've seen tons of services for local concert halls to sell tickets, but they all seem oriented toward concert tickets only. If anyone sees a system, let me know. I've searched the php scripts and google but since it has to accept credit cards, I don't think a general scheduling script will work. It'll probably need to be a service that the client signs up with.

Return to posts index

Curtis ThompsonRe: bus ticket purchasing system?
by on May 3, 2006 at 3:13:49 am

wow - that's a tough one to find a 3rd party solution for that's ready to go out of the box... :-/

you could try either oscommerce or x-cart:

both are open source php solutions so perhaps somebody has written a contribution that does tickets? might take more work on top of that, but it might get you a start...

you could probably do the base concept in these though without a ton of config work - basically a "product" would be a bus ride scheduled for a certain time, and you'd have X number of items of this product in stock, with X being the number of seats on the bus. obviously picking a seat would be much tougher and take more work, but if it was just getting a ticket that might work...

Return to posts index

Bret WilliamsRe: bus ticket purchasing system?
by on May 4, 2006 at 3:54:07 am

Luckily supply and seats are not an issue. The client can get more buses if they overflow, and they don't actually pick any seats like an airline.

There's really no budget for config work, and using paypal would work, but it doesn't offer the confirmation number stuff. Plus, the client doesn't have any sort of merchant gateway at the moment. They don't even take credit cards over the phone that I know of.

The client wants to be able to check online to see how many seats have sold and to also print out a list of passengers. I'm just trying to do my due dilligence and see if it's possible in a small budget. There are a couple companies out there doing this as an example... and both sell tickets for independent bus lines. As far as I can tell both use their own custom systems or have teamed up with someone big to process the payments.

If I were to use the PayPal system to purchase the tickets as a simple ecart product, would it be possible to also add some sort of confirmation number that gets emailed to them as well as put into an online database the client can look at? Probably not since the paypal thing is a closed system.

Taking bids! Anyone?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved