FORUMS: list search recent posts

Footer and table height problems - please help!

COW Forums : Web Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Craig HirshbergFooter and table height problems - please help!
by on Mar 31, 2006 at 8:49:29 pm

I'll start by saying that I'm a video editor, not a web designer. I'm designing a "simple" page with a header, menu bar, 3 columns of content, and a footer. The footer is supposed to stay attached to the bottom of the browser as you resize it, and the 3 colums of content are set to height="100%" to fill up page while resized.

I've found some CSS info about this and have tried to adapt it to just tables (I really don't want to use DIVs because I don't know anything about them, and would rather spend my time in After Effects). If you look at the source code you'll see my attempt - I'm sure it aint pretty. I might be trying to do the impossible - I just don't know.

Problem: (1) The content columns stretch too far vertically, requiring user to scroll down to footer even though there isn't enough content there to merit it. (2) I can't get rid of the extra blank space (green) at bottom of page below footer, which is driving me nuts!

If anyone's up to checking it out, here's the link to my nightmare:

Return to posts index

Curtis ThompsonRe: Footer and table height problems - please help!
by on Mar 31, 2006 at 10:34:31 pm

hmm - the primary issue was that you had all your table widths and heights as fixed pixel values - so if my browser wasn't 1300 pixels wide or Y pixels tall, then it wouldn't adjust. here's your same page with some percentages and a wrapper table that forces to 100%

works in ie in xp fine, and is very close on safari, but i am short on time today so alas i can't play with it more to get it more cross-browser friendly...but it's very easy to pull off...

here's a very simple example of what you're trying to do - maybe build from this?

hope that helps!

Return to posts index

Craig HirshbergRe: Footer and table height problems - please help!
by on Apr 3, 2006 at 3:22:29 pm

Thank you so much! I knew there was something missing, turns out the wrapper table was the key. I think most of the other styles had were just complicating things even more. It's functioning great now in IE Win 2K and Safari. Still qwerky in Mozilla and IE Win XP (leaves blank space below it in both, huge blankspace in Mozilla) but I've messed with it since then, so I'll need to go back and fix some things.

Thanks again!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved