FORUMS: list search recent posts

Commnents about my new site. Try not to be too mean. Lol.

COW Forums : Web Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Clint Nitkiewicz HernCommnents about my new site. Try not to be too mean. Lol.
by on Feb 14, 2006 at 8:13:03 pm

I just downgraded from a niftly little flash site i had going due to the complaints of it taking too long to load.

But thats the past...

Heres a new html site i just put up. Ive been having trouble with the vidoes for some reason. I first used Mpeg1 now im using mov files,

please try the videos, let me know if they load correctly, speedy, slowly, and what operating systems and browsers your using,

and of course, any and all suggestions, Thank you very much

Clint Nitkiewicz Hern

Return to posts index

Clint Nitkiewicz HernOh yeah, i forgot, heres the link, www.newelementproductions.com
by on Feb 14, 2006 at 8:17:13 pm

heres the link, duh

http://www.newelementproductions.com

please leave any and all comments, especially regarding the videos loading, etc.

Thanks

Clint Nitkiewicz Hern

Return to posts index

Curtis ThompsonRe: Oh yeah, i forgot, heres the link, www.newelementproductions.com
by on Feb 15, 2006 at 4:59:13 pm

hello...

well - on os x here and videos loaded fine - didn't try my win box, though...

the site was ok. you have a very mixed group of videos there - one very angry and fast with rammstein and then soft wedding ones right next to it. from a biz perspective, i thought your design strongly favored the former and would be a real turn-off to the clients who wanted the latter... :-/

maybe create a more neutral home page that welcomes all and then send the respective people to their own sections that present more of a conducive environment for each?

sitruc

Return to posts index

Bret WilliamsRe: Oh yeah, i forgot, heres the link, www.newelementproductions.com
by on Feb 15, 2006 at 5:11:57 pm

Ok, the honest review. My site too has many of the same proglems...

The site itself seems pretty busy and void of any navigation. I think it could also use a bit of typography 101. It's also still download heavy. You're using the web browser to scale down the images visually, but it doesn't scale down their size. The 5 main images across the page are all 100k or more, when the whole page shouldn't even be that large. Those same images could be smaller too. Maybe just icons (little cropped versions showing just their faces or something) with the title next to it.

I think I'd reorganize the content. One idea, the logo across the top with your picture at left, if you feel the need for your picture. But I'd lose the zillion titles. Call yourself owner, founder, ceo, proprietor, or art director. Saying that you do everything doesn't usually inspire conifidence that you'll do it well. Plus, what if you get sick? Who will do the work then It's my belief that people feel more secure if it's a small company rather than a one man shop.

Down the left I'd make a few links. Hire us, contact us, examples of our work, etc. To the right of those links I'd have a few paragraphs about the company. Instead of listing all the type of work you do, tell them what great work your company can do. Hype it up in plain english, especially if your clients aren't production houses. It appears that you do a lot of weddings and small music videos, so they aren't going to know what all the techie stuff is.

You might further have a column to the right that lists "recent projects." That's where I'd put the icons I discussed from above, and maybe a bit of text. For example "STOP STRESS video" - watch folks ward off stress by smashing cars and... blah blah. A good example of the icon thing would be a site I did for my wife... http://www.terilamprey.com/gallery/empcomm.php where we took a frame of the video and used it as an icon next to the title of the clip and a minor description.

The videos themselves look good and started playing right away. Not sure what codec you used. I use sorensen3 at about 500kb a sec, 15fps, mp3 audio. I use cleaner to create the vids. H264 is my first choice, but everytime I use it people can't see the vids because they don't have the latest qt. And all a browser can do is check that you have qt, not a particular version. Most people can play sorensen3 if they bought their computer in the last 3 or 4 years.

Return to posts index

AaronRe: Oh yeah, i forgot, heres the link, www.newelementproductions.com
by on Feb 15, 2006 at 8:02:38 pm

Yea, I agree, you may want to speak with a graphic designer for a more suttle and clean look. Your videos load instantly! Why don't mine do that? What codec ect... do you use?

Return to posts index

Clint Nitkiewicz HernRe: Thanks Guys a lot! Can you guys check it out again, after the updates? What do you think now? Thanks.
by on Feb 16, 2006 at 6:07:58 pm

I went ahead and redid the site, just had to, so this should be a start, but i know i still have quite a ways to go, so let me know what you guys think okay,

thanks so much, and thanks Curtis for giving me a good business idea, i took your advice, thanks Bret especially big time, didnt have a clue til your detailed response, realy apreciate it big time, and Aron too, i took more of a grafic design look, more clean, etc,

Clint Nitkiewicz Hern

Return to posts index

Curtis ThompsonRe: Thanks Guys a lot! Can you guys check it out again, after the updates? What do you think now? Thanks.
by on Feb 16, 2006 at 6:10:15 pm

hello...

hey that's great - looks very nice...nice changes all the way around! :-)

sitruc

Return to posts index

Bret WilliamsRe: Thanks Guys a lot! Can you guys check it out again, after the updates? What do you think now? Thanks.
by on Feb 17, 2006 at 3:37:25 am

Much improved. White space is good. You are a quick learner. Only thing I might suggest is that you keep the text text, and the images images. Technically, there is no text on your pages. Just images. Leaves nothing for google to index. I would probably go with a white background as well, or something lighter. It's much better than my first site, which oddly is still live. Circa 1996... http://www.visarts.com

The different colors and glows on the text, plus the black background. I had a problem when people printed. Seems the white text didn't show up on white paper, unless they had print backgrounds turned on.

All stuff to think about.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]