FORUMS: list search recent posts

Comments about my new site

COW Forums : Web Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
TweenGuyComments about my new site
by on Feb 6, 2006 at 8:06:50 am

Dear friends
I have made a site and the work is still under progress.

Following are my own comments:
1) Files in shockwave format still need to be compressed and this will take a little bit time for me to tweak it.
2) This kind of site with swf content generally comes with a nice pre-loader which will Insha Allah soon be incorporated.
3) The links are not working but they will very soon.
4)In future the main page will have small thumbnails of graphics and these animations will open in their respective pages.
5)Of course, the contact info will also be added.

The design was done in Fireworks and slices were then called in Dreamweaver. SWF files were created in After Effcets using exort feature.

Let me know how much time it took for you to download the full page. If you are a Mac user, please let me know if you had any problems in viewing or not.

Also tell me how do you like it? Any suggestions.

Thanking all of you in advance.

Return to posts index

Curtis ThompsonRe: Comments about my new site
by on Feb 6, 2006 at 2:42:59 pm

[TweenGuy] "Also tell me how do you like it? Any suggestions."

tried it on a dual g5 box with safari and my browser almost crashed. while i would love to see your animations, i will tell you that it's generally considered _horrible_ usability to drop massive animations on pages without warning people - especially your home page...

what would be much nicer for visitors is to have a clean plain-text home page that introduces yourself to the user and lets them know about you and what you do - then offer links with information to your animations so that people can view them at their leisure...

just my $.02 worth! :-)

Return to posts index

Bret WilliamsRe: Comments about my new site
by on Feb 6, 2006 at 6:51:47 pm

My dual G4 that seems to have trouble lately with everything ( I think the machine is defective) loaded the page almost instantly. A few seconds. No crashing. My Comcast broadband has been pretty cruddy lately too.

However, you've made some errors that newbies that use Fireworks or Imageready tend to do. Those apps, while they can export an html page, should not be used to create html pages. Sounds weird I know. But they should be used to create elements on a page. A menu bar, a gif animation, etc. What you've create is a page that is entireley graphics. The menu items on the left for example, are bordered squares with text in them. There is no need to create gifs or jpegs for this effect. A web browser can do that with simple html and css. There would effectively be no download time. They would also be sharp focus. Your menu items are blurry, probably because you've compressed them highly. As well, you have a background that is a solid color. The menu bar is also a solid color. Both are done with images / slices when they should be done with tables or layers and background colors.

I'd agree with Curtis on the animations, but you did mention they'd show after thumbnails in the future. The animations you put up there are not flash animations. They're in flash format, but there's not one pixel of vector animation. After Effects CAN output vector-style flash, but you have to follow some extreme rules. No precomposing for example. No 3D either I think. Otherwise, it just rasters the frame and you've essentially got a quicktime animation in a flash shell. Might as well be a quicktime with playback controls. And even if you do follow the AE rules about flash export, it still creates horribly huge files compared to actual flash files created with the Flash app. A 10k file created by flash, would be a 200kl file created by AE most likely.

If you really are a newbie then that's a lot to absorb. Get the site up there and start version 2 with all that in mind.

Nice animations!

Return to posts index

TweenGuyRe: Comments about my new site
by on Feb 6, 2006 at 8:36:01 pm

Dear Bret
I am greatly indebted for the words you have advised to straighten up things.

Regarding swfs I used, one was 6000kb (created and rendered as avi in 3ds max, then called in AE and exported as swf) and the other one was around 13000kb (created in AE and exported as swf).

I have noted everything you have mentioned in the first para. However, I still find it difficult to use the right approach, i.e. what format I should use for my animations to show there? swf, mov, avi, mpeg, or wmv? what should be the maximum size of each animation? Can't afford Sorenson Squeeze3 or any other product in that range! Can I live with default compressors shipped with AE 6.5 or 3ds max 6?

I know these are quite a many questions but I am sure, you will help again.

Take care

Return to posts index

Bret WilliamsRe: Comments about my new site
by on Feb 7, 2006 at 1:20:09 am

Flash excels as a vector animation tool. Vectors are scalable images that look the same no matter what the size. Your animations would probably look best as an h.264 quicktime movie, but most folks don't have the latest QT it takes to play those. Sorensen is probably your next best option or mpeg1. I use cleaner, but Sorensen squeeze would be the way to go as well.

You should be able to create quicktimes that look better at around half the size. You can get decent sizes out of AE, but it's not really meant to be a compression tool. One way to cut the size in half is simply to cut the frame rate in half. From 30fps to 15fps for example.

Return to posts index

by on Feb 6, 2006 at 8:41:21 pm

Dear Curtis Thompson
Thanks a lot for valuable feedback. I have taken all your suggestions into consideration.

There is one mopre friend at AE forum and he advised that I should have used some other shapes (may be organic) instead of simple rectangles for buttons and some other matching and consistent navigational elements should also be added to support the design theme. What do you think of that?

Also, the yelllow I used on text on the banner, should match with the background yellow and the green tones in few elements, were used as an extra expense to the overall design. Instead yellow, blue and black would have been sufficed.

Thanks in advance

Return to posts index

Curtis ThompsonRe: Comments about my new site
by on Feb 6, 2006 at 8:53:43 pm

that could be nice - i'd suggest looking around the net at some other sites and see what you see that you like - then make your own version of that and you're good to go! :-)

be sure to keep us updated on your progress!

Return to posts index

by on Feb 7, 2006 at 7:11:57 am

Dear Curtis Thompson
Thanks for your comments.
Sure, I will keep both you guys updated of further developments/tweakings.

Return to posts index

Clint Nitkiewicz HernRe: Comments about my new site
by on Feb 14, 2006 at 8:09:24 pm

Feedback funcion did not work, took me to an error page, im running mac osx using safari,

can you do me a favor and check if my videos download correctly, quickly, or any suggestions?

and if you could leave the info what system, or browsers you are using, thanks so much

Clint Nitkiewicz Hern

Return to posts index

Mohamed RamadanRe: Comments about my new site
by on Dec 31, 2009 at 12:16:28 pm

can you please check the web address again and confirm if it's correct? i am unable to access it by clicking the link provided.

error message reads"Sorry! We could not find"

Mo Ram

Return to posts index

Fernando MolRe: Comments about my new site
by on Dec 31, 2009 at 3:40:56 pm

Nothing there

*Always share a link to your site and rate the posts. This is a free service for you and for us.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved