FORUMS: list search recent posts

Help with FTP software...

COW Forums : Web Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Sam MalleryHelp with FTP software...
by on Jan 29, 2006 at 1:15:01 am

I'm getting back into maintaining my website. I've been out of the loop for two years. I used to use a PC and I used Ipswitch FTP to update it.

I've since changed to Mac and I've been looking around at different FTP software to use. I'm currently trying to get into Cyberduck but I can't say I've fully wrapped my head around it. The layout is very different from Ipswitch and it doesn't help that I haven't done this in two full years.

Is it worth dropping $25 on one of the nicer FTPs like Impact? Or should I stick it out with the duck?

Is it alright if I post some super basic web maintainance questions on here? Good. I'm trying to refresh my memory of what I used to do. Forgive me. I'll start out uber basic:

So I name my homepage "index". That much I remember. But say I have a current page loaded on my server called "index", and I want to upload a new homepage also called "index", how the hell am I going to know what's going on? Do I pull the old homepage off of the server first, then upload the new one?

I checked out a demo of Fetch recently and I tried (foolishly) to update my old website. When I uploaded the new page, I forgot to copy and paste the counter into the html of the new page. My site had one of those free counters at the bottom. I had like 5000 hits. Now it's missing because I forgot to copy and paste the code. I'm afraid that since I didn't copy and paste the html code that I will lose my counter. Is there a way to retrieve it?

Return to posts index

Kathlyn LindeboomRe: Help with FTP software...
by on Jan 29, 2006 at 2:07:09 am

Ron and I are on Macs and we use a program called rBrowser.

It has SSH and SFTP options which is why we use it. I find it quite easy to use. Just drag and drop, You can drag individual files or entire folders. I think they have a demo you can try before you buy. The guys are very responsive for tech support as well.

Kathlyn Lindeboom
The Mistress of Mmmooooo!

Return to posts index

Bret WilliamsRe: Help with FTP software...
by on Feb 3, 2006 at 4:15:45 am

And I think I'd lose the counter. That's so 1997! :)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved