FORUMS: list search recent posts

New website, but a simple one

COW Forums : Web Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
TweenGuy
New website, but a simple one
on Jan 27, 2006 at 11:23:07 pm

Hi folks
I am in the process of registeraing a domain and arranging a webhosting provider.

My plain objective is to upload some of my video clips (small files 5 seconds to 2 minutes initially) and give those links to experts at AE forum here, so that they could help me improving my work.

I simply need some steps as to how could we upload those files and make links so that visitors may either watch that video on the same borwser window or download the file by right clicking and use "save target as" option.

Is there any comprehensive material on this sort of maintenance? What software would be required by me to maintain my website?

Your help will be much appreciated.

Return to posts index

Curtis Thompson
Re: New website, but a simple one
on Jan 30, 2006 at 3:41:46 pm

hello...

a basic text editor and ftp software will be all you need. and probably not even the former. if you want to just share clips, you can upload them to your site via ftp and then give others the url to the direct file - so if your domain is foo.com and your movie is movie.mov, you can ftp the file up to your domain and then your url will be http://foo.com/movie.mov

if you want to build out pages then you can either use a plain text editor and pick up some basic html or use a wysiwyg editor like dreamweaver...

hope that helps!

sitruc

Return to posts index

TweenGuy
on Jan 30, 2006 at 8:50:09 pm

Dear Curtis Thompson
Thank you very much. I am on my way to design a simple page in Dreamweaver. Taking self-teaching classes of this software by watching the tutorials and hopefully soon will be able to deign my webpage.

Since I am designing this from scratch, the most important and difficult thing I have found so far is the layout of my webpage. Could you just advise what would have been your way to get through this stage, if you were me.

I hope you will share your ideas. Do you have any pdf based detailed information/tutorial on this? The google serach always yields thousands of results and that becomes overwhelming at all times.

Kind regards
TweenGuy

Return to posts index

Curtis Thompson
on Feb 11, 2006 at 3:59:24 pm

hello...

only practice will get you good at web page design, unfortunately. there's not a formula that you can apply to get a good site... :-/

try looking at an inspiration site like coolhomepages.com and see what hits you - then do mockups in photoshop or your tool of choice and convert to html after that!

i know easier said than done, but building pages isn't always very easy...

sitruc

Return to posts index

TweenGuy
on Feb 11, 2006 at 8:42:08 pm

Thank you very much John for your kind words. I will soon give you the link of my new work

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]