FORUMS: list search recent posts

What books on PhP & MySQL will do the trick?

COW Forums : Web Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Scott_GWhat books on PhP & MySQL will do the trick?
by on Dec 17, 2005 at 8:55:27 am

Hello again.

I have come to the conclusion that I must learn some type of server-side scripting language. Being an old 'ANSI C' & 'K&C C' programmer it looks like I need to jump into PHP and use MySQL to accomplish the tasks in the previous post. I have minor OOP experience.

So can you help me with the choice of books. I need 1 or more of the following:

Book on PHP with tutorials
PHP language reference
MySQL / PHP book with tutorials
Advanced Web Forms
Other recommendations?

I've looked on Amazon for books, and there's so many choices. Can one of you uber web gurus help me with the names of a few books that will meet my needs? I would prefer not to have a bunch of books, but rather a few GOOD, well written and informative books, that will teach basic through advanced PHP and MySQL.

Again, my application a dynamic website with registration, and user authentication server (login), also possibly a message forum. I may also require order processing in the future.

I have a dedicated IP and server running apache/PHP setup and operational.

Thank you again for your time.

Return to posts index

Curtis ThompsonRe: What books on PhP & MySQL will do the trick?
by on Dec 18, 2005 at 11:06:02 pm

hmm - it's sort of a catch-22. a long-time php/mysql user would certainly be able to look at a book and tell you if it was good, but to be honest, i haven't looked at a php or mysql book in a very long time... :-/

if you have any coding/db experience, both php and mysql are painfully easy to pick up. when i learned php, i knew perl (well, i still do i suppose) and php was a natural is also based a lot on c, so you would likely be able to pick it up right away just by diving in and trying stuff. there are a ton of examples online for doing just about anything you can imagine in php, and i bet if you took one of those and started playing around with it, you'd be up to speed in no time...

but back to books - i have generally always trusted o'reilly books, and they have one that they've kept up to date on the combo of php and mysql:

you might want to browse that one and see if it looks like it could be useful...but i still also recommend just poking around the net - has the full api (as do a few other sites) and if you want to start with the basics, try google searches like "php guestbook" and the likes...

just my $.02... :-)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved