FORUMS: list search recent posts

CSS layout problem in IE 6

COW Forums : Web Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
JPDCSS layout problem in IE 6
by on Dec 15, 2005 at 4:16:32 am

So I'm working on this site, and i've got the layout looking just about right in safari, firefox, IE 5.2 MAC, Netscape 8, etc... for whatever reason, the containers in the right column are much larger in IE6 and it throws the whole design off. I don't know if this involves padding/margin rendering or what, but the same padding/margin settings work in column 2, so why can't they work here?

Many thanks in advance,

Return to posts index

Curtis ThompsonRe: CSS layout problem in IE 6
by on Dec 15, 2005 at 8:45:08 pm

hmm. i see that here as well. it's hard to say without having the code to poke around on (i mean i can view the source, but more that i don't have the file all built here locally to play with)...all your numbers seem ok and as you noted, it works elsewhere. there are quirks in css positioning, though, and this might just be one of them...

what you could consider is a more traditional table layout - you can control padding, etc. and cell height (and maybe nested tables, as you'd need them for the 2nd vs. 3rd cols), but the nice thing is that your layout will stay aligned (which fixes this) but will also be more friendly for odd corner cases as well...

Return to posts index

JPDRe: CSS layout problem in IE 6
by on Dec 15, 2005 at 9:30:13 pm

thanks for your reply,

I'd like to get around nesting tables if I could. I know it might come down to that, but maybe there's somewhere I could find a hack (yuck) or something to fix that one, seemingly simple, quirk.

thanks again,

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved