FORUMS: list search recent posts

Class id for QT?

COW Forums : Web Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bret Williams
Class id for QT?
on Dec 2, 2005 at 9:35:35 pm

I may have the wrong class id for my QT files. Not sure really how it works. I think the code I'm using might be for QT 5 classid or something. I thought it should alert the user if their qt isn't new enough and give them a download link. Instead, my QTs are playing best they can. Sometimes with garbled audio, sometimes with audio but no video, etc. Depends on the browser, the codec, and which QT they have.

Is there a class id list out there?

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
Re: Class id for QT?
on Dec 2, 2005 at 9:46:58 pm

Here's some examples...

Version 1, with sorensen3 codec, mp3 audio (created with cleaner 6)
http://www.joanproduces.com/portfolio/marketing/example2a.php

Example 2, with h264 codec, AAC audio (compressor default setting - 300kb progressive)
http://www.joanproduces.com/portfolio/new/newa.php

The h.264 looks amazing at only 300kb. The other is more like 550kb and still doesn't look as good.
I'd love to know any issues anyone has with either. Please give specifics about what browser, platform, and version of Quicktime you have installed.

Return to posts index

Curtis Thompson
on Dec 6, 2005 at 3:32:50 am

hello...

ya - the cgi in the first one was pretty grainy and had artifacts but the video was pretty good. the second was definitely cleaner, but it also had a lot less motion and the benefit of having the edges blurred, which always hides artifacts... :-/

safari, qt plugin 7.0.3

sitruc

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Dec 7, 2005 at 4:12:25 am

So I've got the class id right. How do I make browsers download QT 7 when the person doesn't have it? If they don't have QT 7, they get audio, no video. I thought that's what all this activex stuff was about.

Return to posts index

Curtis Thompson
on Dec 7, 2005 at 2:51:36 pm

hello...

sorry - sorta missed the first mail there and only saw the videos. your code seems to be correct (both activex and embed), and i actually got these to play fine on my xp box with the 6.5.1 plugin (although i didn't have audio on - but they started up fine and video was ok)...

it might be one of 2 things:

- a codec issue - activex and the pluginspage tag for embed will get you the plugin, but not the codecs that the movie was encoded with...so you have to use nice safe web-friendly codecs or else provide an additional link to the codec for install (if you can legally)

- limited version testing in the activex component...so not "what version do you have" but just "do you have a version"

the latter isn't really fixable on your end unfortunately - an example from apple's site for qt7 (unlreated but it has embed code) still uses the same activex control (which i'd expect) but they also refer to the same cab file you have:

http://developer.apple.com/documentation/QuickTime/Conceptual/QT7UpdateGuid...

so i'm not sure what to offer. typically with this sort of thing you might offer a v6 and v7 version or try to use javascript to analyze what version the user supports and give them the proper movie file automatically...

hope that helps a bit!

sitruc

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]