FORUMS: list search recent posts

Slow Loading Navigation Bar

COW Forums : Web Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
jay lee
Slow Loading Navigation Bar
on Nov 16, 2005 at 2:36:51 am

Good evening,
Let me preference this post by saying I am not a web designer. My back ground is entrenched elsewhere. Having said that I know just enough to get my self in trouble!!

Recently published the following site: http://www.jordanvalenti.com

It seems to working OK except for the fact that the navigation bar

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
Re: Slow Loading Navigation Bar
on Nov 16, 2005 at 3:46:24 am

I guess you figured it out. It loads in less than a second for me in Safari on a cable connection. The rollovers are loaded faster than I can move my mouse to them.

Return to posts index

jay lee
on Nov 16, 2005 at 6:03:26 am

Good evening Bret,
Thank you for taking the time to write.
NO.......I haven't changed a thing. My comments based on the performance I am witnessing on my system (PC) with IE and Mozilla. I thought my connnection was screaming fast??? Is your system "typical"?

Cheers,
J

Return to posts index

Curtis Thompson
on Nov 16, 2005 at 2:42:13 pm

hello...

nope - works fine here as well (mac/pc and a variety of browsers) and the mouseover images i sampled were all under 1kb, so it's likely not a network issue even for people on a modem...unless perhaps he rest of your page is still loadiing for you - loading takes priority over rollovers, so they could be a bit jerky if you are still loading a large file, but that didn't seem to be a problem.

but i doubt that is an issue (unless you're on dial-up?) - do the rollovers work once you go over them once or are they slow each time?

2 other things:

1. in answer to your original question - no, browsers don't give priority to image types (so rollovers won't load for you first) - you have image preloaders, but you are also redundantly loading the non-rollover images there. try removing those from that preload call in your body tag, as they will get loaded down on the page anyway - you only need to preload the rollover images

2. try removing the redundant onmousedown and onmouseup actions in your links - onmousedown you're already on the rollover so switching it does nothing, and onmouseup you're leaving the page anyway so it won't render

i don't think either of these are the culprit, but they are unneeded code, and #1 will definitely hurt people on dialup...

sorry to not have a clear answer, but both bret and i can't see any rollover slowness from here! did you try other computers yet?

sitruc

Return to posts index

jay lee
on Nov 16, 2005 at 4:34:40 pm

Excelent suggetions Curtis.....shall strip some of that preload code and if nothing else it will make the page leaner.
FYI I am testing on my system which is a screaming Windows machine with high speed DSL. It indeed would be interesting to test on others.

Thank you for your continued interest.

Cheers,

J

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Nov 18, 2005 at 12:27:30 am

High Speed DSL. DSL is actually so far behind cable now. Cable is easily 4mb/sec these days with DSL sticking around 2. But here in Atlanta they're starting to advertise 7mb/sec and I've heard of testing 11mb/sec in some areas.

None of this would make a difference on your page. I think your page might load instantaneously on a cell phone. Almost.

Check your speed at bandwidthplace.com - my favorite speed test. But you can only do it 3 times a month for free.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]