FORUMS: list search recent posts

Priority Frame Loading?

COW Forums : Web Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
letitbleed
Priority Frame Loading?
on Oct 4, 2005 at 7:01:00 pm

Hello,

This could be very simply or not possible...But, I have a page with a ton of frames to get the look I want...However; some of the frames have flash files and some are just menus. I wanted the menu's to load first then the text then the flash last so that the site is at least functional while all the flash is loading. Right now flash frames seem to load first which makes the page ugly white with now menu text or options at all. Is there a way to make sure a frame loads before the others?

Thanks
LIB

Return to posts index

Curtis Thompson
Re: Priority Frame Loading?
on Oct 4, 2005 at 7:08:09 pm

hello...

you could load a blank page or a page with a color on it for all frames except the one that you wanted to load first - then add a javascript "onload" call to that frame and have that frame change the url of one or more of the other frames to the correct url - you could then do a chain (i.e. have each frame load another frame when it's loaded) or just do the nav frames first and then in the js onload event set the urls for all the remaining frames...

sitruc

Return to posts index

letitbleed
on Oct 11, 2005 at 11:02:40 pm

Thanks for the response...Is there any easy way to do this? I don't know JS so I need something simple that'll work fast. I found a few sites where you just plug in the frame name and link or somehting like that but don't know if that's for the same thing...Is JS the only way to do what I need to do?

Return to posts index

Curtis Thompson
on Oct 12, 2005 at 4:07:04 pm

hello...

you will need to use javascript, as it is the only client-side tool that can change urls in other frames. i whipped up a small example here:

http://sitruc.com/cow/js_frame_load/index.html

that should get you what you need from a copy-paste standpoint. the above example only uses one frame, but it has a example of changing two frames at once in the initial right frame and it also could be easily expanded to daisy-chain frame loads if need be...

sitruc

Return to posts index

letitbleed
on Oct 19, 2005 at 4:53:18 pm

Hello,

I've tried what you posted for me...Thank you by the way, do I need to do something to the last frame to load though? It seems like it works but when the final frame loads it redirects the whole site to just one of the top frames. So it basically loads in order, i think, then when it's all done it redirects to topframe.php and that's all that's there is the topframe.php. There aren't any frames or anything anymore???

Return to posts index

Curtis Thompson
on Oct 19, 2005 at 5:01:32 pm

hello...

do you have an example you can post so that i can see the code in action that you are using?

sitruc

Return to posts index

letitbleed
on Oct 19, 2005 at 9:49:22 pm

Hello,

I sent you an e-mail wo the creativecow address to check it out...It seems to be something on the top page where the main javascript goes, because I got rid of the rest of them in each frame and it was still reloading the whole page with just one frame after loading the whole thing, then I realised that I had left the main protion on the top layer...As soon as that was gone it worked fine again, however; the pages didn't load the way I wanted. It almost seemed to work in Mozilla but IE is where it ran into problems. Let me know what you would need to check it out.

Thanks for all the help,
LIB

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]