FORUMS: list search recent posts

IE woes

COW Forums : Web Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
mystyk
IE woes
on Sep 9, 2005 at 3:34:44 am

I'm currently in a bind because IE is not truly CSS compliant.

I'm re-designing a page, and on it I want a fixed-position background image in full color. I wish to place a div (or table) centered, with about 80% width. This much I know how. What I want to do is make the background for that element be a completely B&W version of the image, where regardless of screen resolution or scrolling the image lines up perfectly with the color version inhabiting the "sides". Further, I wish to place individual spans within the element, and their background should be a mildly whitewashed and glasspunched version of the B&W image, also still lined up. This should all adjust cleanly as a person scrolls down through the content, which will likely be several pages (screens) in length. All the images should be .jpg (I already have the initial ones done, but I'm going to create several variations for random rotation). This is easy enough to do in a browser like FireFox, since CSS allows you to fix images according to the window. IE, however, only allows fixing according to each element, making it virtually impossible to get images to line up.

Any ideas?

Return to posts index

Curtis Thompson
Re: IE woes
on Sep 10, 2005 at 3:18:56 am

hello...

i'm not an ie snoot but i will say that anything you do in firefox dhtml-wise, you can do in ie...there might be a slight variation in code, but typically actually not these days...document.getElementById cleaned a lot of messy code up...

i am only vaguely following your description, though - can you provide a url so that we can take a look?

sitruc

Return to posts index

mystyk
Clarification
on Sep 10, 2005 at 4:17:32 am

Ok, an example of what I'm looking for effect-wise can be found at http://www.meyerweb.com/eric/css/edge/complexspiral/demo.html and some of its corresponding pages. Keep in mind, these are NOT my sites, but highlight the same problem between FF and IE due to the CSS support differences. These pages, unfortunately, do not solve the problem.

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
Re: Clarification
on Sep 10, 2005 at 4:35:27 am

I have the book this tutorial is in, and I seem to remember him writing that it had problems in IE for windows.

Oddly enough, it's perfectly fine in IE for Mac, version 5.5. IE for mac hasn't been updated in 4 years! It's still better than it's windows counterpart? I remember when it came out, it was developed completely independent of the Windows version.

Anyway, the page looks identical in IE or Safari on the mac side of things. I'm sure it's fine in firefox too.

Meyer's books are fantastic.

Return to posts index

Curtis Thompson
on Sep 10, 2005 at 5:27:03 am

hello...

i hope this wasn't a recent book?

(that solution i posted to his response was really pretty straightforward)

hmm...

sitruc

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Sep 10, 2005 at 7:25:22 pm

Not sure I'm following you. I hardly see any sites out there using 1/2 the CSS Meyer uses. But yeah, the book is about 3 years old. There's a new one now called even more css or something like that. The beauty of the css he writes is he adds a very very minimal amount of code to create some really neat tricks. And usually, the pages look great in non-css browsers too. Although there aren't many of those around. He starts with a non-css page that looks alright in regular html, and then adds ids and divs, etc. to make the page completely different.

There's a few examples where he creates logos that look like they're a gif or jpeg from photoshop, but they're actually complete css, maybe with a background image.

Me, I'm still combining css with old fashioned table layout. Hard to break old habits you feel comfortable with.

Return to posts index

Curtis Thompson
on Sep 10, 2005 at 7:13:21 am

although i will admit that it is a convenient "feature" (if they even intended it when writing the dom - hard to tell)...

the following is the basic concept of a fixed bg for a table cell - works in firefox but doesn't in ie:

http://www.sitruc.com/cow/floating_table/table_fixed.html

but when you watch the text and bg color of the table scroll while the bg image stays, it really does look like it almost happens by accident during the rendering process...

hmm. oh well. :-)

sitruc

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Sep 11, 2005 at 5:54:59 pm

Once again, amazingly that example works perfectly in IE for the Mac version 5.5. Almost 5 years old now.

Return to posts index

Curtis Thompson
on Sep 10, 2005 at 5:25:37 am

hello...

ahh - ya. i think that can be done - here's a version that mimics the concept from your example enough to get you going - should work in all the current browsers as well (ie, firefox, safari - didn't test opera, though)...

http://www.sitruc.com/cow/floating_table/

sitruc

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]