FORUMS: list search recent posts

PHP Uploading large files problem

COW Forums : Web Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
nsciaccaPHP Uploading large files problem
by on Aug 29, 2005 at 2:54:06 pm

I have a file upload/download system that runs on PHP and FTP commands. I have changed all appropriate settings to the following:

post_max_size & memory limits to 40 MB
max_execution_time to 300000

also, I've set up a .htaccess file on the main directory to change the
LimitRequestBody to 2 GB

I am running Windows XP and when I'm plugged into a LAN Cable connection and have my firewall configured to allow large IMCP packets, I was successful in uploading a 35 MB file. HOWEVER, my employer and clients are having difficulties with uploading over 6-8 MB - the browser crashes or their computer freezes. They are most likely running Windows 2000 and some are behind corporate network firewalls and some are not using any firewalls.

Does anyone have any advice on what I can try or if there is something I am missing? I could post code if necessary, but the system does work for everyone if the file is <6-8 MB.

Return to posts index

Curtis ThompsonRe: PHP Uploading large files problem
by on Aug 29, 2005 at 4:25:19 pm

unfortunately, if it works for you then it would appear to be a network issue, and that's almost impossible to offer any suggestions on with this many degrees of separation... :-/

even if the user is having a problem and doesn't have a firewall, they do have an isp somewhere that might be blocking the it everybody but you or just some people having the problem?

Return to posts index

nsciaccaRe: PHP Uploading large files problem
by on Aug 29, 2005 at 6:24:19 pm

Curtis - Thanks for replying... I understand how it might be hard to figure this out. I'm not sure if everyone is having a problem only because I have direct contact only with my employer who notifies me when clients have trouble. As of now, he cannot upload large files (he's on Win2K with no firewall) to our website, but insists that he can upload/download large files elsewhere. However, his computer/network knowledge is very limited - he has ideas, and I'm supposed to translate them to something workable. The system runs on PHP and MySQL - everything I know about these systems I've taught myself.

Is there another way to handle large files in a content system? Or do you know of another upload program (preferrably freeware) to see if uploading through that would work on our system?

Return to posts index

Curtis ThompsonRe: PHP Uploading large files problem
by on Aug 29, 2005 at 8:44:19 pm

well - i'd still wonder if the client has some sort of limitation somewhere - even if they don't have a firewall, they might have an isp that blocks that for some reason or automatically times out long transfers for some reason. i hear you when you say that they swear it's on your end, but i don't necessarily think it is. but they are the client so you do need it to work for them...

the way you're doing things via php is fine - another option is plain ftp, but if you want to do it via the web then php is a fine option. i don't think that personally i'd store the files in the db, but rather just pointers to them - that's just a personal thing, though. that's a lot of info for mysql to be responsible for storing...

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved