FORUMS: list search recent posts

Scripts

COW Forums : Web Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
TNewman
Scripts
on Aug 16, 2005 at 3:24:00 pm

Hey again,
I am looking for information on how to better understand perl, java, php and other kinds of scripts. A lot of them are pretts simple to use but then again others are more complex depending on their function.

Can anybody direct me to some resources that would help me better understand how they work and how to use them more efficiently?

Thanks again,

Trent

Return to posts index

Curtis Thompson
Re: Scripts
on Aug 16, 2005 at 4:18:57 pm

hello...

you've listed a few different types of scripts there that are not in the same family...java (sans script) is a very different thing and is not a scripting language but rather a full-fledged programming language. it can be used for java applets and servlets, which run in web environments, and it can also be used to make jsp pages, which are in fact more along the lines of traditional scripting languages such as asp and php. so here's some categories:

1. server side scripting languages (jsp, asp, php): these are used to generate dynamic content as html - so if you have a database and you want to show content from it, for example...these languages would be used to pull the data from the db and then format the content and present that to the visitor as basic html that their browser understood.

2. javascript (either embedded or linked in an enternal .js file): javascript (not to be confused with java) is a client-side scripting language that runs in the browser's memory on the user's computer (that is essentially considered "client side"). it is used to dynamically change content and alter presentations (rollovers, etc.) in a web page once it is loaded.

3. css (either embedded or linked in an external .css file): css is client-side as well, and is used to control styles on the page - you create style classes (like large font, bold, and red) and then assign that class to items in your site (like a header, for example)

hope that makes some sense... :-)

sitruc

Return to posts index

TNewman
on Aug 16, 2005 at 7:22:26 pm

Yeah it helps me understand the breakdown of whats what.
But when it comes to perl and php...it seems like I have trouble grasping how to use them. Simple ones like clocks or forms are pretty simple but it seems like the method varies a little with the different types of perls or php's. Is there on online resource that will further breakdown how to apply these?

I use Adobe Go Live CS2 if it makes a difference.

Thanks,

Trent

Return to posts index

Curtis Thompson
on Aug 16, 2005 at 7:34:58 pm

hello...

[TNewman] "Is there on online resource that will further breakdown how to apply these? "

when you word it that way, it's sorta hard to answer, unfrotunately. both perl and php can do just about anything you want them to do in terms of web apps (dynamic content, db interaction, etc. etc.), so to ask how you would apply them is sort of an endless spectrum. typically, you learn the languages and then as you have needs, you use the languages to meet the need. this is often db-driven content or shopping carts, but again - the sky's the limit.

i think what you're wondering about is how could you use these to make your site better? if so, then the best thing i can suggest is to just look around the net - you'll see stuff all over that you can probably determine if it's created by a scripting language or not and then that might give you some ideas on how you could do stuff like that in your sites...

sorry to not have a clear-cut answer for you, but it's a very open-ended question...

sitruc

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]