FORUMS: list search recent posts

'Latest News' page

COW Forums : Web Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
sarza'Latest News' page
by on Jul 12, 2005 at 12:17:54 pm

Hi and thanks in advance for your help!

Firstly, I am fairly new at this so excuse me if this is a stupid question...

I am creating a website with a 'Latest News' page that I want my clients to be able to update themselves. Originally, they were to email me their news and I would just update it myself.

Is there a way for them to update the text simply (absolute web novices) without having access to the whole page, or site for that matter?

Return to posts index

Curtis ThompsonRe: 'Latest News' page
by on Jul 12, 2005 at 4:24:17 pm

yes - there are (unfortunately for the sake of this discussion) more ways than you can count to do this. the basic concept is some sort of scripting language that can write files on the server and some sort of storage system. the former would be something like php, perl, asp, jsp, etc. and the latter would be either a database (mysql, oracle, mssql, access, postgres, etc.) or just simple text files (often easier for simple stuff like this).

the script language serves 2 purposes: 1 as a way to make a page that news can be collected via and stored with, and then another as the way to read the existing news, sort it and show it on a per client basis.

so without knowing anything about your host, available languages, etc., it's hard to say how you personally could do it. typically most providers support php and/or perl and a basic db like mysql. depending on that, you can also likely find a script online to do this for free, as it's a very common thing...

hope that helps!

Return to posts index

sarzaRe: 'Latest News' page
by on Jul 12, 2005 at 9:58:03 pm

Thanks for your help. I have just realised that my host does have a script for doing just this. I really appreciate your quick response and all the help I have recieved through previous posts on this site - it's been great!

Return to posts index

Bret WilliamsRe: 'Latest News' page
by on Jul 12, 2005 at 11:40:55 pm

Who's your host and what's the script called?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved