FORUMS: list search recent posts

How to create an iFrame to open up a page within a page?

COW Forums : Web Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Chris Huggett
How to create an iFrame to open up a page within a page?
on Jul 2, 2005 at 2:33:59 pm

Hey guys

Can someone please explain iframes to me?

I am told that this iframe can solve a problem that i am having. I have a web site spread over 2 hosting companies, and i would like the html files on one server, show the url of the other one.

I have tried to read up on them over the net and am not having much luck interpreting them. Heres what i think i need to do. If someone can fill in any blanks and or supply any code or sites that will do this for me, i would be ever greatful.

I need to make an an index page which loads the iframe, and also calls the home.html page.(but i dont know the code).

Its late here in Australia, so i think i will give it a go tomorrow.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Chris

Return to posts index

Chris Huggett
Re: How to create an iFrame to open up a page within a page?
on Jul 2, 2005 at 2:57:22 pm

Curtis

I just used the search functions here at the cow and see that iframes have been brought up before and you have helped numerous people.

I used some code that you have placed on the web for iframes and manipulated it abit, but i run into two problems, the source html file doesn't fit perfectly in my window and creates its own scrollbar inside the window. Then when i set the scrollbar to NO, the bottom of my site cuts off.

Do you know how i can fix this?

Thanks
Chris

iframe

Return to posts index

Curtis Thompson
on Jul 2, 2005 at 7:10:22 pm

hello...

the easiest way to tackle this one is with a working example - can you post a url so i can see what you've got now?

sitruc

Return to posts index

Chris Huggett
on Jul 2, 2005 at 10:34:27 pm

Hi curtis

here is what i am doing wrong.

http://www.members.optusnet.com.au/atvdvd/test3.html

Do you know how to remove the vert. scrollbar within the frame and allow the browsers scrollbar to wrok instead.

Thanks
Chris

Return to posts index

Curtis Thompson
on Jul 3, 2005 at 9:03:51 pm

hello...

sorry - getting more confused. i see the url you referenced just has an iframe that calls the page services.html - why don't you just call that directly? or will services.html end up being on a different server at some point?

sitruc

Return to posts index

Chris Huggett
on Jul 3, 2005 at 10:50:31 pm

Hi Curtis

You tried to help me with some perl/cgi code the other day for my form mail page. However my isp, does not allow this type of code. To prevent putting maito: commands on the web, i have just moved the contacts page to another server which allows for php scripting. But i do not want the address of this server to be shown and the fact that the user is leaving the site to go to another one.

So i wanted to create on page with an iframe that calls all the other pages into and keeps the same url.

Im not much of a web person, so i may be doing this the wrong way.

Thanks for your help

Chris

Return to posts index

Curtis Thompson
on Jul 4, 2005 at 4:43:28 pm

hello...

i see what you're talking about here, but i don't see the issue on your site (with the dupe scroll bar thing), so let's tackle the hypothetical. you should be able to remove the scroll bars for the iframe as you've described, and it shouldn't show the embedded page's scrollbars either (hence some of my confusion). but you could also consider these options:

1. a dialog window with no address bar (done via javascript): you would open a basic window with all the controls, etc. turned off like this (ignore the content, but just use the opening a new window thing):

http://www.sitruc.com/cow/popup_redirect/

and then they won't be able to tell that they end up on a new site because there is no url to show

2. redirect back to your site from the php mail form: when you're done with the mail part of the php script, just have it redirect them back to your site - it would happen so fast that nobody would be likely to notice it - then it is back on your site and you can have it redirect back to any custom thank you page you want to make...

either of those 2 might work?

sitruc

Return to posts index

Chris Huggett
on Jul 4, 2005 at 10:10:52 pm

Hi Curtis

Great idea with the redirect. I have now implemented that.. Thank you.

I don't want to remove the address bar, because to me, it just looks like another one of those annoying pop windows or similar annoying things

The best way to describe this is with a picture

http://www.acclaim.tv/help.jpg

Referencing the picture, i am only able to scroll with the number 1 bar. Setting this to off, will not allow me to scroll at all, and cut off my site at the bottom.

I only need the vertical scrollbar that is on the outside (number 2) that you see on all normal pages.

Im sorry if this is annoying
Thanks
Chris

Return to posts index

Curtis Thompson
on Jul 5, 2005 at 1:56:01 am

hello...

ahh - i see your problem now - funny. i don't see that here.

well - you can't make a primary scroll bar control an iframe and a little experimenting here shows that you can't get an iframe to take up the whole page - you could do it with a normal traditional frame for each page, but i guess at this point, the question become why you don't just put the domain and the entire site on the other isp that supports the php, etc.? or find another host entirely to do all of this?

sitruc

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]