FORUMS: list search recent posts

To be or not to be Photoshop ?

COW Forums : Web Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
mills_mgTo be or not to be Photoshop ?
by on Jul 2, 2005 at 6:26:39 am

Hi friends,

I am quite a new bee with Web Designing and related stuff. For designing a site I got this suggestion from one of my fri. That the better choice is t use Fireworks or bring your PS image into Fireworks and slice it there.

Fireworks allows you to choose if you images slices should be positioned using tables or CSS Positioning, go for the CSS.

So I want to know is it possible with Photoshop (my favorite software) I do not know about PS CS or CS2, but earlier PS only allowed slicing into tables.

Thank you

P.S. : I have posted the same thread in both PS and Web Design Forum to get clear views.

Return to posts index

Bret WilliamsRe: To be or not to be Photoshop ?
by on Jul 10, 2005 at 5:50:09 pm

Not sure what you heard in the PS forum, but I think the better question would be slicing vs. not slicing. How many really cool sites do you see out there with sliced up images as their major design? They're slower, harder to manage and update, and kind of old school.

So I don't think the question is whether you should be positioning slices with tables or CSS, it's whether this is the right direction altogether.

With CSS you actually have greater control over text, borders, lines, blocks, squares, background images, etc. that you often don't need to slice anymore. You can create a background image and place buttons and text designed with CSS stylesheets over the background image with great precision and accuaracy. It makes for a quicker load, and it's easy to update stylesheets for the text and links.

So go with what you're comfortable with, but start breaking down some of your favorite sites and seeing how they're done. Start reading a few books on CSS and you'll be on your way!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved