FORUMS: list search recent posts

What other choice do i have to create an email form without using PHP

COW Forums : Web Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Chris Huggett
What other choice do i have to create an email form without using PHP
on Jun 30, 2005 at 1:06:07 pm

Hey guys

Im using my some free space on my internet providers server to host a website, and i want to create an email form, which will send the persons name, subject and comments. However i am told by my provider that their free server does not allow PHP.

So am i stuck and resigned to leaving my email address on the server for people to contact me or is there another way?

Cheers
Chris

Return to posts index

Curtis Thompson
Re: What other choice do i have to create an email form without using PHP
on Jun 30, 2005 at 3:17:10 pm

hello...

any other scripting languages available? almost all plans support at least one cgi language like perl...

if so, then this old chestnut would work:

http://www.scriptarchive.com/formmail.html

sitruc

Return to posts index

Chris Huggett
on Jun 30, 2005 at 10:56:05 pm

Thanks Curtis

Ive downloaded the files and read the help docs and visited the FAQ, but am a bit confused on 3 three things

First off, it says that i need to adjust the top line of script to match the location of your perl interpreter. Whats the interpreter? and secondly, i have looked at the files on the server, and apart from my files which i have uploaded, there is no other file nor folder for me to use. The space is blank. Now i have another website (which im not using for this one) which does have all these php, functions and the like, and many folders including a cgi one. So i kind of know what to look for, however on my free server, i cant find it.

THe @referers variable, is this where i put my isp and the location of this isp?

ANd finally, the send button. Using DW, i created an insert form command, then inserted a button into this area. In the Action command of the form, is this where i put the name of my cgi script.

Thanks for your help

Chris

Return to posts index

Curtis Thompson
on Jun 30, 2005 at 11:25:26 pm

hello...

haven't used that script in years, but if i recall the instructions that he provided were about as good as they could be for the script...but i can try on a few of these...

[Chris Huggett] "First off, it says that i need to adjust the top line of script to match the location of your perl interpreter. Whats the interpreter? "

i don't know how familiar you are w/ unix, but a think of it like a .exe (and in windows, it is an exe file)...it's just the engine that gets run when this script is run. look in your isp docs, but 99% of the time, it's either /usr/bin/perl or /usr/local/bin/perl - if your server is nt, then you might need to find a different mail server script. i can't recall if that one is set up to run on windows as well...

[Chris Huggett] "i have looked at the files on the server, and apart from my files which i have uploaded, there is no other file nor folder for me to use"

sorry - i don't follow you on this one...this script should go in your cgi-bin dir...

[Chris Huggett] "THe @referers variable, is this where i put my isp and the location of this isp?"

can't recall that specific field, but whatever they tell you to put there. referers are how email servers verify and help control spam, so that could vary depending on how the server mail server is set up...

[Chris Huggett] "Using DW, i created an insert form command, then inserted a button into this area. In the Action command of the form, is this where i put the name of my cgi script."

yup... :-)

sitruc

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Jul 1, 2005 at 3:26:45 pm

Only thing with that script is it's banned by web hosting everywhere. It's got many spamming holes in it. There are newer versions (made in php) that are safe, but good hosting companies search for scripts with formmail in the title or in the body of the script.

I use php formmail and had to delete references to it in the notes of the script, and change the name of the script itself. I even had to delete the authors name becuase they were searching for that too. In fact, my hosting looked at it and said it's fine because it's the php version, but said their searching script didn't differentiate. So they helped me keep it from being found. Crazy.

Return to posts index

Curtis Thompson
on Jul 1, 2005 at 3:32:18 pm

hello...

crazy! i didn't know that...that script has been around for years and is the de-facto cgi mail script everywhere, but that never crossed my mind...

oh well - ok then. chris, if you're interested, contact me personally and i'll write you a quick one...or i think i have an old one laying around somewhere that i could send you...it's pretty straightforward scripting...

sitruc

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]