COW Forums : Live & Stage Events

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Valeria Petit
Insane Projection Mapping Canvas Challenge
on May 22, 2019 at 6:18:34 pm
Last Edited By Valeria Petit on May 22, 2019 at 6:18:55 pm

Hey,
I have a massive canvas challenge for you guys—

I’m working on costing an immersive projection mapping show with impossible parameters and I’m running into a wall, so I figured I’d pick your brains for some advice —

The canvas is mind-blowingly huge and I don’t think that there’s a simple solution to preview our work in real-time and full quality, let alone have it playback on normal media servers. I have a bunch of “reasonable” compromises; however, my curious nature makes me wonder how close we can get to theoretically making it happen, ignoring pesky parameters like render time and budget. I figure that I can start from there, show them the ridiculous limitations and down scale this to something a bit more digestible (but still humongous—like around 16K resolutions, which I’m relatively comfortable with).
They’re aiming for a final output size of 368 640 x 1080 at 30 FPS (yes, you read that right — the client is aiming for 192 simultaneous HD feeds — without seams). It’s batshit crazy, but it’s a pretty big space and since this is an indoors experience with people being about 1 foot away from the projections, the resolution must retain a pretty good-looking resolution, even after a compromise.

For the client reviews—I think that I will simply downsize (by a lot) and package it in Unreal for a VR headset. No big deal there.

Obviously, the deliverable will be split into slices of more “manageable” video files that will be read by media servers, which is standard procedure.

But what’s racking my brains is how can I approach assembling a quasi-full quality preview (mostly for the artists that will be working on this to do QC, because I need to minimize back and forth between production and delivery.

Right now, there’s no way to bypass the 30 000 x 30 000-pixel limit in After Effects—that I know of—but I can reassemble roughly 15 “chunks” of the final canvas to fit inside a 25 000 x 15 000—ish comp. But I was wondering if there was a better (lazier) solution that would ideally let me view the whole scene in one single strip—like a crazy powerful stitching software or something? What are your insights on this?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]