FORUMS: list search recent posts

Challenge: mic for quiet VIP speaker

COW Forums : Live & Stage Events

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jon Goin
Challenge: mic for quiet VIP speaker
on Apr 26, 2019 at 5:02:32 pm

A VIP speaker at international conferences has a quiet voice. His Schoeps CCM41 and Audix M1280B mics have LED reading lights on the booms and need to be away from his mouth. He can't wear a headmic or lav because of mobility concerns.

I'm still looking for a mic that can pick up his voice better and reject feedback in large halls.
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Jon

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
Re: Challenge: mic for quiet VIP speaker
on Apr 29, 2019 at 2:04:32 pm
Last Edited By Mark Suszko on Apr 29, 2019 at 2:14:26 pm

The Schoeps is a very sophisticated and expensive mic. Can't imagine it not working out.

My suggestion:

"PZM" Pressure Zone Mic, AKA Boundary Mic. PZM was a brand, but also a general descriptor. My favorite brand/ model of them these days is the Audio Technica Pro 44. They are popular conference room table mics that can be shared by two people, the pickup is that good.

Has a good omni pickup with some reach. Also great placed on the edge of a stage floor. Unobtrusive in that it's a flat plate that can be gaffed to the top of the lectern or onto a nearby inside surface. You can tape it to a wall and the entire wall becomes part of the mic. Only issue would be if it's on the top surface of the lectern and your speaker starts laying papers on it because it doesn't "look" like a mic.

If the guest is in, say, a wheelchair, *next" to a lectern, mounting the Boundary mic on the side of the lectern next to their elbow will pick up pretty well.

I once mic'ed an event with several of these, and the guests didn't believe they were mics, insisted on obtrusive "stick" mics on table stands instead.

Some lavs come with a boundary mic attachment that "converts" the lav into working like a boundary mic. I'm a little skeptical of that approach, but it's also very unobtrusive. In those cases, in my experience, it needs to be taped down very firmly to a hard surface to work best.

Return to posts index

Jon Goin
Re: Challenge: mic for quiet VIP speaker
on Apr 29, 2019 at 3:38:45 pm

I understand that one can't defy basic audio/physics principles regarding mic distance and live sound. A mic only picks up what it hears...

I tried a boundary on the floor, but mounted on a lectern or other surface nearby is interesting and I'll check it out. The lav boundary "adapter" is also something new--worth a try.!

Thank you for the helpful info and suggestions.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]