FORUMS: list search recent posts

Looking for a "Simple" Live Streaming Solution

COW Forums : Live & Stage Events

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Lauren Kaiser
Looking for a "Simple" Live Streaming Solution
on May 31, 2018 at 7:30:45 pm

Hello,

I am in search of suggestions! I am looking to implement live streaming, but I am working within a few specific parameters, however there is a lot of flexibility.

Here's the basic background information of where I'm coming from and what I'm looking to do. I work for a university and currently we film many live events, classroom lectures, presentations etc. We are looking to implement live streaming. I am looking for simple over production value. Production value is still important, but ideally, I need one college student to be able to run a live stream.

We are currently using Canon XA10s, I would like to be able to use our current cameras. If possible I'd like to avoid having the cameras plugged into a laptop. Generally we use a rode shotgun mic and or a wireless lavalier mic with our cameras, I'd like to still be able to use those for the stream.

It doesn't really matter who hosts the stream, Facebook, YouTube, LiveStream, whatever.

I've only just begun researching, and so far I am think that the Broadcaster Pro by LiveStream looks promising. I'm really looking for suggestions though.

Again the main criteria is that I need a solution simple enough that one college student could run the whole thing. Buying additional, hardware, software etc is a-okay too. I'm just not sure where to start!

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Vince Becquiot
Re: Looking for a "Simple" Live Streaming Solution
on Jun 1, 2018 at 5:20:11 am

The simplest would be a Teradek cube,.

For the cameras, you'll need a switcher. On the cheap side, you could try the Roland V1HD, you'll need HDMI to SDI converters for runs over 25' to the cameras.

Livestream has their own streaming devices that are pretty easy to use as well.

Vince Becquiot

Indigo Live | Kaptis Media

San Francisco Bay Area

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Jun 4, 2018 at 6:54:16 pm

The simplest thing for a one-operator situation is to just use an iPhone and it's built-in streaming. Add in an audio input for the mic, then use any of the available streaming apps. Not very pretty, but... also, have you seen the MEVO?

https://getmevo.com/

Return to posts index

Lauren Kaiser
on Jun 4, 2018 at 9:45:57 pm

I'd like to be able to do a bit more than what a phone can provide, even though the quality is impressive, I am worried that showing up to an event with an iPhone to film will look like a lack of professionalism.

I have seen the MEVO! At first I was leaning towards that and I still see many benefits such as battery life with the add on accessory. However, user reviews that I've read have me questioning it.

Ideally I'd like to be able to use the cameras we have as well as our microphones. Recently I've started looking at the VidiU Pro by Teradek and I'm thinking that may be a really good solution. Do you have any thoughts on this product or type of product?

I like that I could just hook it up to our pre-existing camera, use our microphones (I think) and then monitor it on a smart phone or iPad. I also like like that you can stream to any platform and record to an SD card simultaneously.

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Jun 4, 2018 at 10:56:29 pm

We use the Teradek BOND, which plugs in between the back of our cameras and the Anton Baur battery pack, (which also powers both). We like them a lot. But we use that for simple news live shots and feeding back pre-shot footage to our home office from the field. The "Sputnik" IP receiver at the home end then connects to our streaming facilities.

That's probably not going to be the best fit for your situation; the BOND uses six cellular modems to spread it's HD signal... and that's just for one camera, one receiver. It would be too cost-prohibitive for multi-cameras, unless you ran multiple cams into a switcher first and then fed that output to the BOND by SDI cable.

One of the other options is probably better for you.

If you want to leverage your existing hardware, you could look at BoinxTV aka mimo live. This is a switching and streaming app that connects cameras to a laptop and lets you use the laptop like a portable switcher, including graphics and effects. Essentially the same as MEVO, but using your cameras and audio inputs, plus a powerful laptop. I believe it can also record internally. https://boinx.com/mimolive/

For a bit more money, there's the Newtek Tricaster, which they are promoting very heavily. it will stream, and it's a more powerful live switching/fx machine as well, plus they tout it can interface with cheap robotic PTZ cameras easily thru a proprietary cable system, making it a one-person band, potentially.

I won 't bother giving you a Newtek url. They'll find YOU :-)

Return to posts index

Kevin Copeland
on Jan 24, 2019 at 7:23:25 pm

I would use one of the Blackmagic products. https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/products/atemtelevisionstudio/techspecs/W-...

$995, 8 inputs. You can switch cameras on the front of the unit, or use the software.

Plug an output into a Teradek VidiU Pro and stream to anywhere. This unit also records an H.264 video on an SD card if you want it to.

YouTube is free, Facebook is free. Twitch is free. I stream to Restream.io and let it send out to about 16 streaming platforms with their free version. They say they have 30 free platforms they stream to.

For titles, I use the SimpleSupers.com app that uses PowerPoint as a character generator. It generates an alpha channel. I use my laptop display outputs for key and fill into the Downstream keyer. I use it for Lower Thirds at our church. Scripture, names, song lyrics, etc. I even use it to play out our intro and outro.

Cheers,
kc

Return to posts index

jitendra swami
on May 3, 2019 at 12:20:48 pm

Thanks, for sharing this useful information.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]