BORIS FX: Boris FX Forum Boris FX Tutorials After Effects Motion Graphics

Creating custom wipe transitions

COW Forums : Boris FX

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Sean EndresCreating custom wipe transitions
by on Mar 18, 2016 at 11:43:26 pm

Is it possible in Boris FX? I got Boris FX with Lightworks and I want to start using it to created masked wipes and other custom transitions like a gradient dissolve. Is this possible? I have not been able to find any tutorials on the subject.

This video has several examples of the type of transitions I'm looking for. Check around the :06, :46, :48 marks:

Return to posts index

Jon KozenkoRe: Creating custom wipe transitions
by on Mar 21, 2016 at 6:15:02 pm

Hello Sean,

You should be able to do this with FX10, although it would be done so using a sideways approach. With FX10, what you would need is an image (moving or static) of the figure/object that is conducting the wipe, such as a silhouette of a person over Alpha (you can establish the Alpha in FX10). Once you have established the image and the movement across the screen, you would then simply use this as a cover-up for a simple spline-based wipe effect, where the splines are actually creating a removal of V1, showing V2 in its place.

At this point, your Custom Wipe should be complete. You can save this to the Library Browser by going under the File menu and selecting 'Save Project Copy to Library', and it will perform a 'Save As' function, but pointing toward the 'BFX10 Keyframe Library' directory, which is where the Library Browser loads from. The one thing to note is that this media that you used for the wipe (such as a person jumping from side to side) will be seen, by FX10, as a media asset, so this clip/image will need to remain online.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved