BORIS FX: Boris FX Forum Boris FX Tutorials After Effects Motion Graphics

AvidFX Video levels

COW Forums : Boris FX

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Neil RyanAvidFX Video levels
by on Oct 9, 2015 at 3:49:59 am

When Media Composer passes the video tracks to AvidFX, the video levels remain true to Rec709 with black at 16 and white at 235. When I add an imported graphic, it is always RGB and so its levels go from black at 0 to white at 255. Obviously with stills, I can convert them to 16-235 levels before bringing them into AvidFX, although (this is problem 1) it means I have to have a different copy of all my graphics just for AvidFX.
Problem 2 is that, when I add an AvidFX generated item, including any of the filters, those levels are created in the 0-255 range. So, when I go back out to Media Composer, some parts of the effect are illegal and need to be clamped.
Another example is, say I do a simple 2 video layer picture-in-picture effect and add a simple white border to it, my video images will be safe but the white border will be 108% white.
There doesn't seem to be a setting in AvidFX where I can control the colour space.
Assuming you see where I'm coming from, can anyone enlighten me? I'm just trying to get me head around how to properly work with AvidFX while staying true to Rec 709…

Return to posts index

Jon KozenkoRe: AvidFX Video levels
by on Oct 9, 2015 at 9:05:03 pm

Hello Ryan,

In the RED Project Settings window, there should be a check-box that reads 'Generate Safe Levels'. This is commonly unchecked by default, in which case I would recommend enabling this function.

Return to posts index

Neil RyanRe: AvidFX Video levels
by on Oct 12, 2015 at 11:55:46 pm

Thanks Jon,
I had missed that.
It helps, in that it clamps the output levels to safe (0-100%) but it does so by clamping the levels; that is, throwing away anything below 0 or above 100. With this on, Boris still generates level outside 0-100, then slices off the excess.
I was hoping there was a way to generate safe levels in the first place.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved