BORIS FX: Boris FX Forum Boris FX Tutorials After Effects Motion Graphics

Beyond frustrated with Boris

COW Forums : Boris FX

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Robert Martindale
Beyond frustrated with Boris
on Aug 5, 2015 at 10:57:19 pm

HI,

Several months ago I posted a question on this forum about an external monitor setup with Boris Red. No response from Boris.

So, I went ahead and bought a Matrox MX02 mini to monitor the system. Doesn't show up in the options even though Boris is listed as supported.

So, I thought, I will use Premiere to monitor. Premiere shows up. But when I apply the Red filter (don't get me started on what it took to get Boris Red to show up in Premiere Pro CC2015. Not intuitive AT ALL.), it doesn't display on the monitor.

So, I'm asking nicely one more time. What is the correct way to monitor Boris Red? I have the 64-bit version running under Windows 8.1.

Is it asking too much that a simple question be answered?

Return to posts index

Robert Martindale
Re: Beyond frustrated with Boris
on Aug 5, 2015 at 11:17:29 pm

So.....I tried rolling the Matrox software back to v 7.6 and now I get a V1 display! That don't move or update or anything. Nice. Not.

Return to posts index

Jon Kozenko
on Aug 6, 2015 at 4:01:25 pm

Robert,

Sorry we missed your previous posting, and sorry that you are experiencing this situation.

Since you are using Boris RED inside of Premiere Pro, one thing that will come up is that RED will not be able to access the output while Premiere Pro is connecting to it; even though Premiere Pro goes dormant while RED is launched, the connection to the output hardware will remain active, and Premiere Pro will not relinquish this to RED. As such, what you would need to do, if you wish to output while using RED as a plug-in, you would need to manually dis-engage the output from within Premiere's settings.

As for the output itself, the Matrox MXO2 is known to experience problems with refreshing the image from the RED interface (at least with an HD output). There are a few things you can do to try refreshing the view from the monitor, however. Primarily, you can try dis-engaging and re-engaging the output from the Monitor, and you can also try enabling the Caps Lock (suspending preview within RED's interface itself), going to another frame and then releasing the Caps Lock again.

In case, when you got the static V1 frame output established, was this while using RED stand-alone, or from within Premiere Pro?

Thanks.

Jon

Return to posts index

Robert Martindale
on Aug 6, 2015 at 4:16:39 pm

thank you for the response. Its standalone.

Return to posts index

Jon Kozenko
on Aug 6, 2015 at 10:12:03 pm

Robert,

Thanks. I tried locating some older Release Notes for RED 5 (the current Release Notes indeed do not mention the Matrox hardware) but nothing I found made mention to this integration.

I've brought this back up with the head of SQA, but unfortunately, right now, this appears to be a known issue with outputting from the MXO2.

One thing, however - you mention earlier that Matrox mentions us on their page. Do you think you can send me a link to the page where they make reference to us?

Thanks,

Jon

Return to posts index

Boris Yamnitsky
on Aug 6, 2015 at 2:38:30 pm

Robert,

Very sorry we missed your original message. The best way to proceed is to call our support lines at 888-77-BORIS or fill in a support form here:

https://www.borisfx.com/store/login/?return_url=%2Fsupport%2Fopen-a-case%2F

When there is a simple one line answer, I'm happy to post it here on the forum but your question seem to need more in-depth support which we are very happy to provide.

Thanks for your support!

Boris Yamnitsky
BorisFX

Return to posts index

Robert Martindale
on Aug 10, 2015 at 11:52:10 pm

Will do...but perhaps for everyone's information, can you tell us what is the approved solution for external monitoring in Red standalone 5.5 PC?

Return to posts index

Jon Kozenko
on Aug 11, 2015 at 10:15:37 pm

Robert,

Thanks for the link. As for recommendation, I would most recommend the BlackMagic Decklink HD Extreme 2, ver 9.7.0, as this seemed to yield the best results in testing.

Thanks.

Jon

Return to posts index

Robert Martindale
on Aug 11, 2015 at 11:49:24 pm

There is no such model I could find currently in the Blackmagic line.

How about this:

https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/products/decklink/techspecs/

Return to posts index

Robert Martindale
on Aug 12, 2015 at 2:17:37 am

I meant the mini-monitor. I just realized the link takes you to a overview page.

Return to posts index

Robert Martindale
on Aug 13, 2015 at 8:16:19 pm

No more phone calls.....we have a winner!

The Decklink mini-monitor did everything I needed using the latest Decklink software.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]