BORIS FX: Boris FX Forum Boris FX Tutorials After Effects Motion Graphics

Obscuration Layer Avid Lens Flare

COW Forums : Boris FX

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Chris DunstanObscuration Layer Avid Lens Flare
by on Apr 24, 2015 at 7:44:03 pm

Hi All,

I'm pretty new to boris bcc package,

I'm trying to make a lens flare disappear/appear behind objects. But I can't seem to get Obscuration layer to work.

O have tried making a duplicate layer, which is an alpha but still no luck

Can anyone help with a simple workflow please?

Return to posts index

peter mcauleyRe: Obscuration Layer Avid Lens Flare
by on Apr 28, 2015 at 5:47:30 pm

Hi Chris,

The Obscuration Map feature in the Lens Flare 3D provides you with the ability to generate Lens Flares that will automatically pop on and off the screen depending on the underlaying pixel values. For example, you can set the LF3D so that it will disappear when the light source is over an area of darker pixels than the set value in the Threshold parameter. You can elect to use either RGB values or alpha values from either the filtered layer or a secondary input layer in the timeline.

Here's the basics of how to use the Obscuration feature in the BCC Lens Flare 3D within Avid MC:

- Apply the Lens Flare 3D to a source clip in the MC timeline
- Go to the Effect Editor window to access the filter control parameters
- Set the Obscuration Map layer pop-up to the layer that you want to use to hide the flare ... either the filtered source or a layer below that on the timeline
- Position the Lens Flare Light Source so that it's over an area with RGB values that are to be used to obscure the light
- Set the Obscuration Type pop-up to RGB
- Adjust the Threshold parameter value until the light disappears
- Move the light source so that it's over a lighter area and make sure that the Lens Flare is visible

If you would like more help with this please reach out and I'll put together a video tutorial for this that we'll upload to our web site for all to view.

Return to posts index

Chris DunstanRe: Obscuration Layer Avid Lens Flare
by on Apr 30, 2015 at 8:54:56 pm

Thanks Peter. I will try this. I managed to get it to work eventually, but I found I was still getting the flare (very slightly over the solid object. I will now follow your instructions. I have a feeling it was because I did not Position the Lens Flare an RGB to obscure the light.

The only Way I did get it to work was by putting the same video on v2. But make v1 video an alpha channel. Obscuration Type pop-up still to RGB. This made the lens disappear behind the object! Not sure if that makes sense.

Return to posts index

peter mcauleyRe: Obscuration Layer Avid Lens Flare
by on Apr 30, 2015 at 9:03:34 pm

Hey Chris,

You're most welcome. I'm glad you managed to get the result that you needed in the end.

To get the flare to completely disappear you need to adjust the value of the Threshold parameter ... higher Threshold values will cause the flare to disappear with lower pixel values in the image.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved