BORIS FX: Boris FX Forum Boris FX Tutorials After Effects Motion Graphics

Is Boris Continuum Complete v9 able to create a map route animation?

COW Forums : Boris FX

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Carlos Silva
Is Boris Continuum Complete v9 able to create a map route animation?
on Jul 16, 2014 at 4:04:31 pm

Hi,

I intend to buy Boris Continuum Complete v9 for Sony Vegas.

Does anyone know if it is able to create a map route animation, as shown in the following video in which proDAD RotoPen is used?

If Boris Continuum Complete v9 isn't capable, is there any Boris product that can do it?

Thanks in advance,
Carlos

Return to posts index

Jon Kozenko
Re: Is Boris Continuum Complete v9 able to create a map route animation?
on Jul 17, 2014 at 2:48:46 pm

Carlos,

You would be able to do it much easier with Boris RED. Boris RED has an interface of its own (which launches from inside Vegas, so it's also a plug-in), and within it you can create the path using a series of Paint strokes, and then animate them to draw on.

I was actually looking to make a tutorial on this in the RED program (so I think I'll do that soon), but essentially, there are two ways to do it in RED. Both involve numerous steps, but can be completed in minutes.

The first would be to launch RED with the Map in view, select the Paint tool, and, in a few strokes, draw over the desired path. Then, in the main Paint layer (each stroke will be represented as sub-layers, rather than main layers themselves), make sure that the 'Reveal Order' is set to 'Sequential', and keyframe the main Paint track so that, at the start of the clip, the 'Strokes End' is set to 0, and at the end of the clip, it's set to 100.

The other method would be to draw a single primitive stroke from the start to the end (you can negate the road/course for the moment), highlight the 'Paint Stroke' layer (it's the sub-layer of the Paint track) and enable a checkbox (off by default) that reads "Spline Path". Then, using the Pen tool, you can add points to the paint stroke to reshape it to the design of the road. Then, as before, make sure the 'Strokes End' animates from 0 to 100.

Hope these help.

Thanks.

Jon

Return to posts index

Carlos Silva
on Jul 18, 2014 at 1:18:17 pm

Hi Jon,

Thanks for your detailed answer.

I took a look on RED and its capabilities are great indeed.

However, I do intend to buy Continuum Complete v.9 for Vegas and since it has many of the RED filters I am wondering if either Boris FX or Graffit could do this maps routes and other simple animations. If yes, which of these two would complement Continnum v.9 features better in Vegas workflow?

Best,
Carlos

Return to posts index

Jon Kozenko
on Jul 24, 2014 at 8:55:46 pm

Carlos,

I tried to do this in FX10 but the sequential animation approach was not present. I'll keep looking around in FX10 to see if this is possible using an alternative approach, but it might be exclusive to RED. If FX10 can do this, I'll let you know.

Thanks.

Jon

Return to posts index

Bruce Brent
on Jul 26, 2014 at 3:41:33 pm

Carlos, try this..... http://www.routegenerator.net/

Return to posts index

Carlos Silva
on Jul 31, 2014 at 9:18:13 pm

Thanks for information about Route Generator. Handy indeed!
Cheers,
Carlos

Return to posts index

Allan Klingler
on Sep 12, 2014 at 4:07:52 am

While I have the BCC 9, for that, my preferred tool choice is Autodesk Combustion 4.0 since you can use a hierarchy of layers and control each independently with exactness and lots of control as a compositing application, specialized for its use while integrating so many other layers and elements of different sizes and file types.....You set up a composite that can be frame animated, and then substitute in new elements for a different animation. Once you build the structure once, you can interchange pieces really well. Boris to me is more confusing but it may be a question of having spent a lot more time in the application.

---------
Professional videography since 1996
http://www.tetonvideo.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]