BORIS FX: Boris FX Forum Boris FX Tutorials After Effects Motion Graphics

Boris RED motion tracking

COW Forums : Boris FX

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mateusz Ożyński
Boris RED motion tracking
on Jul 12, 2014 at 3:07:03 pm

Hello,
after upgrading Media Composer from a pretty old version 4, I'm now in a new reality with no BCC filters and no Avid FX. I consider buying upgrade to Boris RED, which I currently use in the test period.

Now - am I doing something wrong or is the RED's motion tracking tool extremely limited (e.g. compared to Media Composer's motion tracker)? What does not help me is that there is no help for motion effects in the Boris RED guide on Boris site.

The problems I came across:

1. Is there a way to switch a tracking region during tracking? Like when one object dissapears and I want to switch tracking to another one? The only way I came up with was to add keyframes and set a new tracker's position there. But it wasn't very intuitive and changed the generated offset, thus required me to correct the position of the following object as well.

2. Can I make motion trackers affect not just position and scale, but also rotation of the object I display using it's data? E.g. in situation, when I want to cover something on someone's moving and rotating face. Corner pin seems to work well only for rectangular objects displayed on rectangular elements in the video and motion stabilizer generates movement opposite to the one I would require in such case.

Return to posts index

peter mcauley
Re: Boris RED motion tracking
on Aug 5, 2014 at 3:49:19 pm

Hi Mateusz,

Thanks for giving RED 5.5 a shot in your new version of MC. Here are some answers to your questions:

Q 1. Is there a way to switch a tracking region during tracking? Like when one object dissapears and I want to switch tracking to another one? The only way I came up with was to add keyframes and set a new tracker's position there. But it wasn't very intuitive and changed the generated offset, thus required me to correct the position of the following object as well.

A 1. To achieve the intended result you need to stop the tracker when the object is obscured or leaves the frame, then reposition and keyframe the tracker source, then continue tracking etc until you have completed the tracking process. Then you can select and reposition the tracked data directly on the screen using the arrow tool ... marquee select the points you want to reposition, then hold the shift key while dragging to move them.

2. Can I make motion trackers affect not just position and scale, but also rotation of the object I display using it's data? E.g. in situation, when I want to cover something on someone's moving and rotating face. Corner pin seems to work well only for rectangular objects displayed on rectangular elements in the video and motion stabilizer generates movement opposite to the one I would require in such case.

A 2. You should use the Corner Pin Tracker filter to achieve this effect, which compensates for translation and rotation of the target.

For more information (tutorials etc) on Boris RED, you can either type into the search box on the front page or go to the Boris TV section, on the borisfx.com website. Here's a direct link: http://www.borisfx.com/videos/RED/

I hope this helps,

Cheers,

Peter.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]