BORIS FX: Boris FX Forum Boris FX Tutorials After Effects Motion Graphics

DFT Photocopy

COW Forums : Boris FX

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Marcus WarrenDFT Photocopy
by on May 3, 2014 at 1:01:49 pm

Is there anything in the BCC or RED arsenal that does what DFT Photocopy does, which basically is to take the look of a source image and apply it to the target? I know about BCC Match Grain but Photocopy does a different kind of "match". If there is not a BCC equivalent, please consider this a request for such a tool. Thanks.

Return to posts index

peter mcauleyRe: DFT Photocopy
by on May 7, 2014 at 4:26:48 pm

Hi Marcus,

We have several filters in the BCC package that should handle this situation for you, including the Match Grain filter that you already mentioned:

• BCC Match Grain ... matches the grain from a source image clip and applies this to a target image clip
• BCC Match Color ... matches the color and luma values from a source image clip and applies this to a target image clip
• BCC Film Process ... offers matches to many popular film precesses, such as bleach bypass etc
• BCC Vignette ... generates oval-square color and / or blur vignettes
• BCC Grunge ... blends textures from a source image clip and applies this to a target image clip ... also includes the ability to customize the texture (either the factory installed or your own custom textures) in many different and interesting ways.

I hope this helps,

Return to posts index

Marcus WarrenRe: DFT Photocopy
by on May 8, 2014 at 3:42:10 am

Thanks. Nice to know that these tools are in BCC 9. Unfortunately, RED is missing BCC Vignette and BCC Grunge.

Frankly, while these five filters may well do the job, it would be great to have one filter with this specific function in mind, presumably like BCC 9's new chroma key capability.

Since I have you, perhaps you can share why it takes so long for some of the BCC tools to make it to RED. As far as I can tell, RED has not been updated with BCC (or FEC) filters since RED 5's release in 2011. It seems reasonable to me that RED would gain a filter or two every couple of quarters or even once a year. What is the company's philosophy concerning this? IMHO, RED continues to lose ground not only to its competitors but to its BCC cousin.

And while I am hopeful that there will be a RED 6 release this year that includes many of the BCC filters currently not available, I also hope that RED itself gains significant new capabilities that go well beyond the inclusion of new filters. It really is time for some new, powerful and groundbreaking tools and capabilities in the core RED engine.

And I hope that it all works with Media 100.

Finally, one more company policy I don't understand. Why doesn't your company's Soundbite product support your company's NLE?

Thanks for your time.

Return to posts index

peter mcauleyRe: DFT Photocopy
by on May 8, 2014 at 12:34:15 pm

Hi Marcus,

We just released BCC 9 at NAB 2014 ... RED 5 was released years ago (and was in development when BCC 7 was current) so there are bound to be filters in BCC 9 that are not available in RED. The current shipping version of RED includes most of the filters that comprised the BCC 7 product ... most, but not all of them.

One of the reasons for the difference between these products is that there are some filters which simply do not work within the RED environment, such as the Morph, Warp and Video Morph filters, which rely on AE mask data to produce a warp. RED is most definitely going to get an update, I can't comment on any release dates nor can I offer any insight as to the feature set ... perhaps when we are closer to the actual release date I can provide more information as to the toolset and feature updates that the new version will include.

Regarding Media 100 ... I can't offer you much insight at all into the development of this product (it's not a product that I personally manage) but I can ask to see what the future plans are and I'll share that information with you, if possible.

Soundbite was only really designed to work with FCP and Premiere Pro ... if you're referring to why it doesn't support Media 100 then again, I have to defer comment on that until I have had a chance to discuss that internally. Like Media 100, Soundbite is not a product that I manage directly so I don't have an immediate answer for you on that.

Return to posts index

Marcus WarrenRe: DFT Photocopy
by on May 9, 2014 at 12:11:46 am

Thanks Peter.

Of course, I know that filters new to BCC 9 (and BCC 8 in several instances) are not in RED.

You know, we were warping, morphing and video morphing on our Amiga computers way back in the early '90s using software like Art Department Pro, ImageFX and Imagemaster and not a single AE mask was in sight.

Here we are 20 years later and those features are not available through RED. May I humbly suggest that you by-pass the BCC way of doing things and simply build those capabilities into the core RED engine?

And yes, you are correct. Boris RED 5 was released years ago...with no new filters or significant capabilities in the ensuing time. That's what I am referencing. Is it really that difficult to update RED periodically, beyond bug fixes? It took years to get from RED 4.3 to Boris 5 and now it's taking years to get from 5 to 6. I can't tell you how many funerals I have been to while waiting on RED 6…

I really do hope that RED 6 brings da juice and that RED is not forever just a repository for BCC filters. Based on what I've read, the jump from RED 3 to RED 4 was truly awesome, significantly bolstering the native RED engine. The jump from 4.3 to 5 as far as new capabilities for the core RED program was less a jump and more like a baby step. Yes, we got a whole lot of BCC and FEC filters (thank you!) but I think that it's safe to say that after all of those years, the core features upgrade was very underwhelming. We really expected much more.

This could be mitigated somewhat if we could use 3rd party plug-ins with RED (we can't), or if vendors beyond Eye Scream Factory were producing templates and such (they aren't). With third party support, users could periodically extend RED's functionality while waiting on RED updates and new versions.

That's why I finally broke down and bought Motion 5, so that I could advantage of great plug-ins and templates. Now, Motion upgrades are about as slow to come as RED upgrades, but that's okay. You could buy one Motion template or plug-in a day and probably still will not have purchased them all by the time Motion 6 is released. As far as the same principle being applied to RED, well, you would be done purchasing everything in less than a week and still have years to wait on a RED upgrade (and more funerals to attend. Hopefully not your own).

Regarding Media 100…thanks for any help you can scrounge up. It has been close to 3 years since the last time anyone from or representing BorisFX HQ has posted on the COW Media 100 forum (not including the help from Floh in Germany). Just another one of those Boris FX way of doing things that frustrates us and makes us shake our collective heads.

I appreciate your help.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved