BORIS FX: Boris FX Forum Boris FX Tutorials Motion Graphics After Effects

Boris Red transition problem in Vegas

COW Forums : Boris FX

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mike Hinkel
Boris Red transition problem in Vegas
on Jan 31, 2014 at 12:12:35 am
Last Edited By Mike Hinkel on Jan 31, 2014 at 12:18:59 am

There is a problem with transitions from Boris Red to the Sony Vegas Pro 12 timeline. Editing and previewing in the preview the transition is right where it needs to be. However after rendering the transitions are way right of center. Any clues to why this is? Disturbing to say the very least. I rendered in both Sony AVC Internet 1280 x720p and EXDCAM EX 1920X1080-60i and got the same results

Preview screen:

Render on WMP:

Return to posts index

James Macon
Re: Boris Red transition problem in Vegas
on Jan 31, 2014 at 2:08:43 pm

Hi Mike-
What quality were you previewing at in Sony Vegas?

Return to posts index

Mike Hinkel
on Jan 31, 2014 at 5:31:44 pm

I always edit in preview auto as to not tax my system. Real time would be a dream. I use best full to see detail when I need to.

Return to posts index

Mike Hinkel
on Feb 4, 2014 at 2:17:13 am

Is there any progress on determining the problem?

Return to posts index

James Macon
on Feb 4, 2014 at 2:25:59 pm

Mike-
In the last email I sent to you on this issue I had asked about forcing the preview quality to full in Vegas to see if the positioning was accurate all the way through to render out. Was there any success with that?

Return to posts index

Mike Hinkel
on Feb 4, 2014 at 4:30:52 pm

James, Vegas renders in Good full by default. How would I force it? It appears the problem is in rendering out to anything other than 1920X1080. 720p in all instances had the placement off to the right as my example shows. 1440x1080 60i has the placement to the left. My question would be to why the placement isn't where it should be in the right place across the board?

Return to posts index

James Macon
on Feb 4, 2014 at 6:41:04 pm

Mike-
What's happening is as the resolution changes in your exports the mapping the filter is referencing becomes skewed and off target, hence the position change. There's really no way around this without downresing the footage before placing the filter.

You can change the preview quality by clicking where it says Good(Full)and changing selecting Best(Full) from the menu that drops down.

Return to posts index

Mike Hinkel
on Feb 4, 2014 at 7:19:30 pm
Last Edited By Mike Hinkel on Feb 4, 2014 at 7:20:47 pm

I shake my head. I got the software to help the workflow and now I find I have to workaround it anyway. No other software has given me this problem at any size of media to another.

FWIW, The preview box defaults to good full on rendering. i know you can set it while working on the timeline. Once rendering starts you can't change anything.

Return to posts index

John Rofrano
on Feb 8, 2014 at 9:25:45 pm

[Mike Hinkel] "I shake my head. I got the software to help the workflow and now I find I have to workaround it anyway. No other software has given me this problem at any size of media to another. "
Mike, The problem is with Vegas Pro and not with Boris RED. I understand why you are shaking your head but you should be shaking your finger at Sony instead. Here is what's going on inside:

You are using Vegas Pro with a 1920x1080 project set to Preview (Auto). That means that at any point in time, the video may be Full (1920x1080), Half (960x540), or Quarter (480x270) resolution because you have it set to automatically change.

You drop Boris RED on an event and open it and Boris RED asks Vegas for some video and because you have the preview set to Auto, Vegas may give it "960x540" or "480x270" video and Boris RED thinks that this is full resolution of the video and bases all of it's placement calculations off of that. Then you go an render at 1920x1080 and everything is misaligned. That's because Vegas Pro tricked Boris RED about the "real" resolution of the video because of the quirky way they handle "Preview(Auto)".

This is why James is telling you that you MUST set your preview to Best (Full) BEFORE you drop Boris RED onto an event or transition for the first time. Once you open Boris RED and it established that the video is really 1920x1080, you can lower your preview back to Preview(Auto). This is Vegas Pro limitation/workaround.
[Mike Hinkel] "FWIW, The preview box defaults to good full on rendering. i know you can set it while working on the timeline. Once rendering starts you can't change anything."
Hopefully after my explanation you understand that this is not about rendering and it is critical that you set your preview to Best(Full) on the timeline before using Boris RED because by the time you go to render this is way too late.

~jr

http://www.johnrofrano.com
http://www.vasst.com

Return to posts index

Mike Hinkel
on Feb 8, 2014 at 11:54:04 pm

John, thank you for your interpretation of what is going on with this matter. I certainly do appreciate your knowledge and expertise with the inner workings of Vegas as well as RED. I totally misunderstood the solution as James described it and apologize to him and Boris FX if my frustration came through as harsh in my last reply. I do realize without you guys I'd be in a deeper mess. I will revisit the project and work to get it as it should be. Thanks so much.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]